Types of Fish to Add to a FOWLR Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosleysrn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the process of aquiring a 156 gallon tank for FOWLR. I am planning to get the following fish in the following order (most aggressive last):

Imperator Angel Fish
Queen Angel
Blueface Angel
Majestic Angel

Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Naso Tang

Lionfish

Dogface Puffer

Humu Picasso Trigger
Clown Trigger

Any comments on how some of these fishes would live with one another? I will buy the triggers relatively smaller than the Angels and Tangs b/c of their known aggressiveness.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Yah, that is one big fish list. I would consider picking only one large angel and maybe one dwarf angel. A couple of tangs and one trigger. That would pretty much do it for large fish.

I agree your tank is way to small for that list of fish. You would have 136-144" of adult fish. And, while lionfish are listed as aggressive, this is sooo misleading. They are slow swimmers and probably won't last long with the puffer and triggers. Also, the yellow and purple tangs are not gonna like being in such close proximity and no doubt will fight, same for the triggers. There is just not gonna be enough room for everyone to be able to get out of each others way. :?

Thanks for the feedback. It definitely sounds like we I need to trim down the number of fish I am planning to get. Any other pros or cons on any of the fish I listed above.

I just got my 156 gallon tank setup on Monday. From my earlier question, it sounds like I wanted to put too many big fish in this tank. What do you all think of an Angel (Emperor or Maculosos), Naso Tang, Powder Tang, Volitan Lionfish, Harlequin Tusk and maybe 1 smaller triggerfish (Clown or Humu)? Does that sound reasonable for my size fish tank. Most of these fish would probably be 3-5 inch fishes except for the trigger which might be a little smaller and definitely added last.

I really would love to have both the Emperor and Maculosos in the tank, but have read that more than 1 Angel per tank can be bad.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You're good for a little over 30 inches of fish (don'tcount the tail) with that tank. So figure out full adult size and go from there. Also, use the compatability chart in picking your fish. Also keep in mind inverts.

Nate

Angels, Most triggers (Picasso Trigger & Clown Trigger, I would not place with a lion) & Puffers do not mix with Lions... Any fish that likes to pick at fins ...

If we are talking about a Volitan, they get large Fast, they are not aggressive ... well except through feeding time..lol

But the Triggers and Puffer can easily kill the lion and the Angel can cause damage to the fins, I have found when a lion is being picked at it will try to sting the fish & can cause death to a fish once it is stung.

Kaye

I'd chose one large angel, the two tangs "should" be ok, tuskfish..maybe.. no trigger and no lionfish.. i'd chose 2-3 small reef fish, gobies, clowns, etc..

1 large angel needs at least 100gal dependant on size.. usually 150 gal
two tangs.. naso gets quite large 10 inches or so.. needs 100gal.. pbt needs 90-100gal..
tuskfish 80 gal..

lionfish and trigger is a no no..

HTH

The Humu-humu is less agressive than the clown. I would keep away from the clown if you'd like a decent community tank. A humu-humu is an adorable peaceful trigger in my experience. It's even afraid of a yellow tail damsel. :) Experiences vary though.

It's better for you to picture what kind of FO tank you are leading up to. It looks like the population you are aiming for is too diverse. We have angels and tangs along with puffers and triggers.

I have success with a humu-humu and a porcupine puffer (very peaceful to each other), white spotted puffer, a red tail filefish, and a cow fish all in the same tank. I figured I was aiming towards that type of SW fish (puffers, boxfish, trigger). I will eventually upgrade the size though. Right now they are juvies and are friendly to each other. Changes may have to be made later on.

Some people are into Angels and Tangs at the same time. Just picture what type of population you want to dominate in the tank and it will help you narrow down your choices.

Back
Top Bottom