uggggg, brown algea bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok well I got my first algea bloom EVER and its brown algea...all over my sand, LR, glass, everything... I clean it off and it comes back...is their anything to help keep it down? is their any fish that will feed on it? or shrimp or something?

I agree, you will wake up one morning and they will be gone.

YAY! that makes me happy lol cause I did a water change today and I could scrub it off with my finger so its not very hard...just icky looking!

I have a little brown patch in my sand. It's like someone spilled a bit of brown liquid on it. My roommate rubbed it away but it came back the next day. Is that brown Algae?

GuOD said:
I have a little brown patch in my sand. It's like someone spilled a bit of brown liquid on it. My roommate rubbed it away but it came back the next day. Is that brown Algae?
I think cause I have that to!

GuOD, sounds like diatoms as well. You only have to be concerned with algae on your sand, if it is slimy and in sheets, usually with air bubbles in it. That is cyanobacteria, not good at all.

It`s just diatoms and it will go away before you know it. Doing PWC`s before your cycle is done will slow the process down, Blazey. Just let it run it`s course.

melosu58 said:
It`s just diatoms and it will go away before you know it. Doing PWC`s before your cycle is done will slow the process down, Blazey. Just let it run it`s course.
really? ok :)

Yup, diatoms, sounds like both of your tanks are almost ready!

what about light pink/red algae on the sand only? i have noticed a little of that recently, in nickle size spots here and there.

WELCOME TO AA Mazilla!

Can you get a pic of the pink/red stuff?
How old is your tank?
That sounds like cyano.

thanks for the welcome, i've been lurking in the shadows for a few days now. here and every other site i could find with info on fowlr tanks. i originally planned to do a reef tank, but since i've heard nothing but bad news about my filter setup(fluval 405) and reef tanks, i have since changed my mind. besides i like fish anyways, i've had freshwater tanks for the last ten years or so and i finally decided to take the plunge(no pun intended).

BACK ON TOPIC:

i dont think i can get a pic of the pink/red stuff, it's very very light and my camera is crapola.the tank is about 3 weeks old, i started with about 50lbs of live rock, and about the same with live sand(except the one bag of white sand i had that i mixed in). is cyano bad? i'll google it shortly if i dont hear from you first hand. thanks for your help.

I have a fluvial, what was said that is bad about it? Cyano is bad and will take over your tank, seemingly overnight. Check out the thread mel sent, that should help.

Since this has to o with my situation also I thought it would be best to post here. I just recently got a brown algae bloom everywhere and thought it's about time to do a PWC, so today I just got a 15 gallon batch of SW ready for the PWC in 2 days. Now reading this, I misjudged the timing and want to know if the SW I made can sit for a week or so without any harm, waiting for my cycle to finish.

I have between .1&.3 ammonia, forgot nitrite, almost right on 0 and between 10 and 20 nitrates. I'm assuming this is in ppm the tests don't really say if they are. It's a Hagen brand(probably says in small font somewhere).

Main question:
Can I keep the new batch of SW sitting around for a bit with an airstone and heater?
I'm excited and scared to add any fish or inverts!!! nervousness
Well I do have a bunch of featehr dusters keeping me company for now and a HUGE red worm

thanks devilish! I guess it's no different then starting a new tank.

I'm quite experienced with freshwater aquariums, but this SW thing seems to be a new can of worms. Definitely more interesting in my book!

Sorry for hijacking your thread blazeyreef. Happy reefing!

Back
Top Bottom