understanding overflows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsquared333

Aquarium Advice Freak
I believe I have the concept of the overflow/sump/return pump system down. There is just one more thing I want make sure I am right about. That is that the gph rating doesn't give the actually gph of the overflow but the maximum it can handle. Therefore an overflow can run a any gph from zero to the gph it is rated. For example a 600 gph overflow will run at 450 gph if the return pump is a mag 7 at 4' (mag 7 has a flow of about 450 gph at 4'). This is correct, right?

also has anyone notice a huge difference from getting a smoked or colored inner skimmer box? Is it really needed, does it help reduce algae growth, or is it just for aesthetic purposes?

yes on your gph question...
you can run a 600 gph overflow at 450gph...But it's overkill. WAY too big of a overflow...And if you go too big of a gap like a 600gph overflow with a 100gph return pump your gonna need a air siphon tube because the fitting will be too big and won't be able to keep the siphon...
And the smoked or black plastic does help...

Back
Top Bottom