Unknown black thing with Thorns??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Asterina stars are positive hitch hikers, they will split and multiply in good water conditions. After a while you may end up giving some away. lol

Ok sounds good, just making sure no hitchhikers harm my fish. I had a baby crab in one of my rocks too, but it died somehow.. i saw its body when i stirred the sand up.

Lol wolfpack, i got you :)

KSum89 said:
Ok sounds good, just making sure no hitchhikers harm my fish. I had a baby crab in one of my rocks too, but it died somehow.. i saw its body when i stirred the sand up.

it coulda been a molt

Just wondering.. I been looking up info on the asterina stars and i see they multiply easily. So im picturing this... I get up one day, decide to move rocks around..so i disturb them and a mob of 50 stars rush out and start cleaning. Will this happen??

lol, they stay out in the open, you will eventually find them everywhere. Some people choose to start taking some out, I never did. Good CUC and they are hardy, you will never kill those things. I bought a tank that was horribly abused and still had a ton of them. She hadn't done a PWC in a year in a half.

Your LFS will probably give them to you if they have some in their tanks, I know mine will. They don't sell them.

my lfs is on vacation as of right now but Thursday i saw no astreinas so i may have to ask i may post a thread under classifieds

Im about to post a picture of something else thats on my rock, looks like anemone or something. I dont know.

And the little royal gramma i got is cool..lol.. its laying down on its side inbetween some rocks poking its head up when i get close. I tried to take a picture but I dont want to turn the light on when i add new fish.

I just got it tested everything is perfect, i tested it and the store i got the fish from tested it. I was scared it was sick at first, but she keeps moving every time i'm close.she will run off if i stick my hand near her.

-Side note: I JUST added her a hour ago.

Heres the pic, its the maroon colored thing sticking out. Directly in the middle of this pic.
img3104e.jpg

Usually growth on you rock that looks like an anemone is aiptasia, which is not good.

I think that is aiptasia, however, I am not sure. Post a new thread in the ID area. I'm sure someone will.

Why is not peppermint not eating it? He ate the light brown overnight as soon as i got him. and he usually crawls under the opening of this rock, so why is he overlooking this aptasia?

Not all peppermint shrimp eat it. It may be too large for it to eat. There are simple ways to eliminate it.

Ok i will post in the I.D. Thread.

And about my roylal gramma, i put my glove on and moved one of the rocks she was between. in .3 seconds she jumped up and swam to the other side of the tank. So she is OK. i had to make sure

Back
Top Bottom