Using tap water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wreck_it_Pabs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I use tap water to start/cycle my tank then use RO water for top off and water changes?

That's a pretty good question....it depends how good your tap water is. It should be ok for startup . I would still add some sea chem prime and other water conditioners though.

To be completely honest, I think if you use RO from the get go, you will encounter less problems.

If you can afford to use RO or RODI, that is the ideal. No concerns about what might be in the water or long term problems. If you can not use either, tap water is probably not as terrible as some might claim. I have used tap, and know several others that have, in both reef and FOWLRs in the past with no noticeable problems. I just filled my 240g with treated tap water. I plan to top off with RO (the tank came with an RO unit)...I just need to hook it up at some point. :)

The Todd what are your tap water parameters where you live (tds)?
Here I. Toronto, ontario there around

If you can afford to use RO or RODI, that is the ideal. No concerns about what might be in the water or long term problems. If you can not use either, tap water is probably not as terrible as some might claim. I have used tap, and know several others that have, in both reef and FOWLRs in the past with no noticeable problems. I just filled my 240g with treated tap water. I plan to top off with RO (the tank came with an RO unit)...I just need to hook it up at some point. :)

Nice.. Do you know any additives to treat the tap water? And if you use tap water to start your tank and use RO water to top off and use it for water changes it will eventually be all RO water in the tank right?

I started my tank up with tap and regretted it. I switched to ro when I started having nasty algae blooms

Ok thanks Todd, I have had my tank for a few years but had a serious crash over a year ago and lost all my stock, once it seemed one fish would drop soon after I would loose another till they were all gone with in a week! Read somewhere it takes time for heavy metals in tap water to really negatively effect a salt water aquarium?

I'm honestly not sure. The heavy metals thing absolutely makes some sense, but Prime states that it detoxifies heavy metals. I would guess that water changes take some of that out. I am just stating what I have experienced and seen with others. Even Mr X on here says he uses tap in his reef and he seems to have extremely healthy corals. I know that runs contrary to a lot of people's beliefs, but he sure seems to know what he 'a doing.

Again thanks Todd
I would have to agree with you, the tapwater does seem to spike by district and doing a lot of water changes to tank should help keep it stable! Just trying to piece together another part of the 125 g puzzle
Ps If it's good enough for X it's good enough for me :)

I'm honestly not sure. The heavy metals thing absolutely makes some sense, but Prime states that it detoxifies heavy metals. I would guess that water changes take some of that out. I am just stating what I have experienced and seen with others. Even Mr X on here says he uses tap in his reef and he seems to have extremely healthy corals. I know that runs contrary to a lot of people's beliefs, but he sure seems to know what he 'a doing.
I didn't say I use tap in MY reef....I said the owner of a tank I maintain forces me to use tap. Yes, the corals are healthy in there, but it's up to the municipality. If your water is not as good as the water going in the tank I maintain, it may not work for you.

Sorry for the misquote...I thought you had said you used tap to top off.

I do agree that a lot depends on where you are and how the water is. I would not use tap on a reef, but have used it on past FOWLRs with no problems except maybe some algae at startup. The fish took care of that quickly though. I filled my 240g with tap, but will be using the RO system, that the tank came with, for future water changes.

Test your tap for nitrates and phosphates and ideally copper before using. If the levels are 0 measured with a standard aquarium kit I would use it.

Also is it treated with chloramines? If so I would consider it a no go.

As for top off, use distilled or RO water. But occasional or emergency tap water top off is ok.

Don't forget to treat the water first with a salt mix that contains detoxifiers or with prime.

As for water changes the principle is the replacement water as to be cleaner than the tank water... So measure levels in the tank and your tap water ( they can change throughout the year) often to make sure water changes are actually helping.

I am using tap for water change and managed to improve my tank nitrates and phosphate levels significantly over the last few months.

Why take the risk? I have thousands in coral that I won't trust to the local water company. Tap water can change expectantly. Each to their own I guess.

Back
Top Bottom