vacation??????????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
:D I will be leaving for vacation in a few days. i will be gone 10 days. How long can the fish go without being feed? I have heard bad things about the automatic feeders. Should I leave the lights on the tank off? I do have moon lights. Can I just leave them on?

I would get some one to feed them and do water top offs. You can use a timer for your lights.

If you have a local LFS, you can usually pay one of the employees to perform vacation maintenance. I think almost, or every, employee at my store takes care of tanks around town on the side. You'd basically have to place the same trust in them as you would in a baby sitter, so if you comfortable with givin them a key or something, I'd say let them do it, cuz at least they'd know what theyre doing. I'd be scared to trust my tank to someone who didnt know what they were dealing with.

I agree, I'd definitley try and get someone to feed the fish for you...

As for the lights, you can get a simple digital timer for around $6 at walmart to hook your lights up to. :)

I would get a friend, relative or neighbor to feed and do top-offs. As for feeding, pre-measure a meal and put it in a baggie. Have them feed the tank only what's in the bag and only every other day. It's not so bad if they only have to stop in every 2-3 days to feed and check on things..

I agree that not only feeding but top offs will have to be done also. I`d see if you could find someone else to come over and feed and do PWC`s. The timer idea was good as far as your lights.

I have to go to vacation too about 3-4 days... would it be a big deal if I jst feed the fish a lot before I leave?.. as for the timer... i dont know wat it looks like so ima go check it out, and fish feeder is a bad idea?

The fish without food will be OK for three days but you`ll still need top off water. My sump return area would run dry in three days. For the OP 10 days is too long for not feeding and no water top offs

mike3epanda said:
I have to go to vacation too about 3-4 days... would it be a big deal if I jst feed the fish a lot before I leave?.. as for the timer... i dont know wat it looks like so ima go check it out, and fish feeder is a bad idea?

Overfeeding fish can kill many kinds of fish. I wouldn't recommend doing that. Most fish aren't able to store large quantities of food in their stomach to digest over a period of days so even if you fed them a lot you really aren't going to be compensating for the time you're gone.

You could just get the proportions ready, put them in a baggie in the freezer, and have a neighbor/friend/family member/pet-sitting service come drop it in the tank once a day. The pet sitting services by me do this stuff for $10 or less per day so it isn't too bad. I've never used an aquarium maintanance service but my guess is that it's significantly more expensive, but it would be a safer option if you are willing to pay.

I'll be going on Vac later this year for 2 weeks.
I'll be doing the following. Hope this helps ya out.

1 - Timers (already have em)
2 - Getting 7 day pill containers
3 - Have 10gals of Pre-made RO/DI water for top offs (or how ever much you think you will need, keep in a tightly sealed bucket of some sort)
4 - PWC before I leave
5 - Show my friend what needs to be done and how

Food will be pre-measured for each day. 1 feeding a day so all he/she has to do is open up the right day, empty it into his/her hand and into the tank. Haveing them put in hand 1st eliminates any OPPPPS there went Mon, Tues, and Wed .. how did that happen.

Friend should would be shown how to use the refractometer and where it is.
Water for top offs w/ a clean bowl to transfer water from bucket to tank as needed

Check temp, make sure fish look good and eating. If anything found dead carefuly remove it, place in plastic bag n into the freezer. Call (if poss) with any questions or concerns.

Lastly..
Leave a list as to what needs to be done and what to look for. such as lights, pumps, skimmer, heater all working. What temp range should be, etc.

OHHHH yea almost forgot..
Compensate him/her for helping ya out.

Back
Top Bottom