VHO Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrndHog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a question that I havent seen posted in the last two months I've been on here.

The question is, of the retro fit VHO lighting kits that I saw on www.hellolights.com, w/ the four bulbs, it states that the width of the unit is only 10 inches wide. The tank that I'm setting up is 24 inches, is the 10 inch width of this unit sufficent? Or would it be better to purchase two units of two bulbs to cover a total of 20 inches?

The width of the single unit is sufficient providing there is a reflective plate behind the lights. The reflector will intensify the light and "rebound" it allowing all the areas of the tank to get a decent amount of light and should be fine. Adding two will not really be very efficient. The only other suggestion would be to build your own hood and incorporate the lights across more area and possibley include one MH socket for every 2'sq area to increase intensity.

What you end up doing will more depend on what types of light dependant animals you end up keeping.

Cheers
Steve

I am building my own canopy, so was thinking of purchasing one of these all in one units. It comes with two ballasts, reflector, and 4 sets of end caps. With the provisions of the four bulb unit, what would be a good VHO combo (10,000,50/50 ect) if being used in a FOWLR tank?

I don't think it will be a problem...my MH bulb is only 1 inch square and provides light for the whole tank. The light will disperse in all directions from the lamps, as Steve said, with a good reflector you won't have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom