Vodka method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone ever tried this method to reduce nitrates ?
As of when my cycle finished
Ammonia : 0.5 ppm
Nitrite : 0 ppm
Nitrate : 40 ppm
PH : 8.0 ppm
There are a few different methods
Vodka , sugar and vinegar all organic carbon .
What do you suggest ?

I'd suggest a partial water change before adding liquor or sugar to the tank.

I just finished the cycle
The biggest issue I am having is I'm using tap water .
I haven't added fish to it yet .
Actually I still have the 2 shrimp so I still have a source of ammonia .

I used the Vodka method for killing my fish. :-/ When they were really sick and I didn't want them to suffer anymore. I used clove oil to put them to sleep, than vodka to finish them off. Suppose to be a human method, but who knows. Point it, why put something in your tank that could kill if done wrong?

Researching the method seams to be a effective way .
If the tap water being used has high nitrates is there a suggested way to lower nitrate levels to a level that corals can handle ?

Thanks for your input

I would look for causes first. What are your tank specs? How many fish do you have in there? What are your feeding habits?

Personally, I would avoid adding and look to remove or stop the cause for it. Chances are you will be in the same boat within a short time.

I would look for causes first. What are your tank specs? How many fish do you have in there? What are your feeding habits?

Personally, I would avoid adding and look to remove or stop the cause for it. Chances are you will be in the same boat within a short time.

I just finished the cycle and besides live rock there is nothing in there .
Huge problem is I'm using tap water .
I tested the tap water and there is 0 nitrate so after a water change and taking the substrate out of the canister I should be ok .

It was more a question if anyone has heard of or used this method .

Well in that case, I had a conversation with one of the LFS guys about lowering nitrates. When I started out, my nitrates jumped through the roof. He actually talked about this, but, then went on to say that if you even slightly miscalculate you will crash your tank (and the process itself is very involved). I also saw in my own research that you could create a problem with cyano. Others recommend Reef Biofuel as an alternative, seems like they have had great success. :)

Hopefully someone here who has experience with the method can chime in.

Well in that case, I had a conversation with one of the LFS guys about lowering nitrates. When I started out, my nitrates jumped through the roof. He actually talked about this, but, then went on to say that if you even slightly miscalculate you will crash your tank (and the process itself is very involved). I also saw in my own research that you could create a problem with cyano. Others recommend Reef Biofuel as an alternative, seems like they have had great success. :)

Hopefully someone here who has experience with the method can chime in.

Mine is a 70gal
Ammonia : 0 ppm
Nitrite : 0ppm
Nitrate : 60ppm
PH: 8.5
I haven't done a first water change yet after the cycle and more curious how different it would be .
It did seam to be allot when reading about it .
How often should water change be performed and what percentage ?

If your goal is to lower nitrate, then I'd do 3 50% water changes or one 100% water changes to get things to a tolerable level. A 100% water change will drop your nitrates to zero. 3 50% water changes should get you in the vicinity of 7.5 ppm. (This is assuming you have zero nitrates in your replacement water.)

If your goal is to lower nitrate, then I'd do 3 50% water changes or one 100% water changes to get things to a tolerable level. A 100% water change will drop your nitrates to zero. 3 50% water changes should get you in the vicinity of 7.5 ppm. (This is assuming you have zero nitrates in your replacement water.)

They are only high now cause I haven't change the water after the cycle .
I'm sure if I change the water it will drop
What is a tolerable level for fish ?

Most fish can tolerate up to 20 ppm. Tangs, angels, and rabbitfish may not be as forgiving though.

When reading the first article on the vodka method another suggested method was vinegar and the third was sugar

Hi , I have never been able to get my nitrate below 30ppm and have been running a tank for approx 7 months , recently upgrade to a 325 ltr from 100 litre. I have a tang , copperband butterfly , 2 clownfish a wrasse sandsifting starfish 2cleaner shrimps a goby + snails and hermits and a fair few corals..... 10 percent water change every 2weeks and top up with RO as needed ...... At first I worried bowt nitrate and looked into all sorts and decided to leave all alone and let the tank do its thing ............I,m not saying my nitrate level is perfect but all is good so I continue with my routine and all is good

Is 30 ppm a safe range for corals and fish ?
I was thinking 25% water changes every week .

Back
Top Bottom