Wanting to start a salt water tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crittercrazy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have never had a salt water tank before, I have always had freshwater. I currently have a 75gal and 55 gal freshwater setup. I would like to take the plunge(so to speak) into Salt water, but was thinking I would start small. I was thinking 10-20 gallon setup. Now since i have never done this before, I want to do it right from the start. Could you all give me info on what all i will need to get started???? also is 10-20 gal okay to start?? also what types of fish wuld be great for this size tank, and best for a beginner???

Thanks in advance for all your help!!:D

In my opinion, from what I have read in books and learned on this site, a 10-20gallon for just starting saltwater is too small and unstable. You should start off with at least a 30gallon. Why are you thinking only 10-20gallons? If you are thinking smaller is easier, that is not always the case with saltwater. You may want to consider converting your 55 or 75.

I agree, bigger is better. The more water volume will give you more room for error. Bad things happen a lot faster in smaller tanks.
Are you planning on having corals (reef) or fish only (FO) or fish only w/live rock (FOWLR)? Deciding on this will help to narrow down your critter selection.
liveaquaria.com is a good place to see some pics and learn about fish.
Check out our Articles http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/categories/Saltwater/Articles/ to help out further.

I agree, bigger is better. The more water volume will give you more room for error. Bad things happen a lot faster in smaller tanks.
Are you planning on having corals (reef) or fish only (FO) or fish only w/live rock (FOWLR)? Deciding on this will help to narrow down your critter selection.
liveaquaria.com is a good place to see some pics and learn about fish.
Check out our Articles to help out further.

I was thinking either FO or FOWLR. I just dont want to get in over my head, and have a huge disaster! LOL! I could convert my 75 Gal. to salt water.

I wouldn't worry too much about a disaster, I have had a few and recovered quite nicely, thanks to the folks on this site.

I wouldn't worry too much about a disaster, I have had a few and recovered quite nicely, thanks to the folks on this site.
Phewwww.....well that is a relief!! I am so excited, but nervous at the same time! LOL!!

Converting the 75g would be a good idea, and that would open up WAY more options as far as what fish you can have compared to a 10-20gallon. 8-months ago I started my 75gallon saltwater tank with no aquarium experience at all. I have come across a few bumps in the road, but as long as you research/read a lot about what you are doing and going to do, I think it is definitely do able. I don't regret starting, in fact it has become an addictive hobby. With that said, I don't think there is anything for you to worry about as long as you are diligent about reading/book, threads on this site etc. Also, I would higly recommend going with the FOWLR instead FO, it will likely be easier to keep a stable tank and is more natural.

The bigger the tank the less chance of a disaster. Bigger water volumes are more forgiving of mistakes and oversights. I always suggest at least a 55 gallon tank.

I started with a 29, I make sure to really stay on top of top off water because within a day salinity can change dramatically, other than that the tank has been great and I love the size, and am glas after 12 years of fresh Ive finally gone to salt, on that note I also just set up a 150... I cant stop

LOL! Ct does bring up a good point. If you stay on top of your water chemistry, there is less chance that bad things might happen, even in a smaller tank.

Back
Top Bottom