Water Change for a newby...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcontes77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Guys,

It is my first post, and I have to say this web site is cool!
Alright, I just bought a 45 G tank and I want to put fowlr.
At my lfs they told me that I should buy their water to set up my tank. (fine)... But later I will have to do water change for maintenance: can I use tap water and add chemical in it? or should I go and buy their water everyweek?

Thank you :)

Damien

Welcome to AA

I used tap water with a conditioner to take care of chlorine/metals etc.. for a while until I could not get rid of my algae problems due to all the junk in the water. I finally broke down and got a RO/DI unit, I'd recommend one if you are going to be in this hobby for the long run. Wal-mart and other places sell RO water but over time it will just add up to the price of a RO unit anyway and you have to worry about lugging water home all the time. If you have the money go w/ a RO unit, if not I'd recommend buying water and only using tap water conditioner as the last option.

HTH

Thank you that helps a lot.
Do you know which brand should I use to condition my water?
Also how much a RO/DI cost, which one should I go with?
Thanks!

I think wal-mart charges around $.33 a gallon for RO water. I used biosafe from marineland as tap water conditioner but there are a ton of different brands available.

RO units vary in price, you can check the sponsors forum, I think captivereefs is still running a special to members. I got mine of ebay for a little over 100 but I can't seem to get it to stop leaking, should have known the price was too good.

If purchasing your water from the LFS or Walmart, or wherever you should spot check the water for nitrate, PO4, ammonia, nitrite, copper and anything else you have a kit for regularly.

we just go out and buy water from walmart for .25 a gallon and thats working fine until i get my ro/di unit i just dont buy my lfs's water. but thats just me
Mr. Marine

Back
Top Bottom