water testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltcreep1025

Aquarium Advice FINatic
besides ammonia, nitritate, nitrite, and ph, what else are thing to test for? what do they mean? what levels should they be at? and what should i do to get them where they should be?

i wanna get my water perfect =)

rossv said:
besides ammonia, nitritate, nitrite,

The first two should be undetectable. NO3 would depend on the tank type. FO & FOWLR can tolerate mush higher levels 40-60ppm without many issues (although I would not recommend that) but in a reef setting, they should be as low as possible, zero being the goal. If above 15-20ppm depending on the coral types kept, you will have very little success. If kept under 10ppm you should not have too many problems unless keeping SPS corals.

Best maintained in the 8.1-8.3 range, but really depends on the time of day tested. In the early AM, the ph will be at it's lowest point. As the day progresses, the increased O2 produces by algaes will help raise/normalize the ph. It is best tested at the midpoint of the photoperiod to get an average.

what else are thing to test for? what do they mean? what levels should they be at? and what should i do to get them where they should be?

Alk and Ca are always good to monitor for FOWLR and reef, but what else you may need, would really depend on the tank inhabitants. What is the intended set up for this tank?

Cheers
Steve

thanks again steve.... not really sure as of yet what im going to want to put in it. I just want to get my water perfect for when i decide to go and spend some money on fish.

what should the Alk and Ca levels be at normally? what about magneseum (sp)?

Ca levels should be above 350ppm and more desirable at 400-450ppm. Alk kind of depends on how you measure it.

Back
Top Bottom