Waterchange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeter22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased an RI/DO water filter. I'm using a garbage can to keep the RI/DO water in and mixing my salt in. I have a lid on the garbage can but do not have a power head in it to circulate the water. Can someone tell me how long I can keep this water before it goes bad to do a water change?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You need a powerhead and heater. The powerhead to thoroughly mix the salt and the heater to keep it more or less the same temp as your tank water.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I do the same. I have a heater in the barrel. I have a pump on a switch that I use to pump into buckets. I don't mix the salt until after I pump it out. This way you can use pure water for top offs and mix the salt in buckets for water changes. BTW, it's RODI. Reverse osmosis de-ionised.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

To answer your question, it all depends on how much you use. I have a 150 gallon so I change 15 gallons a week. That's all my barrel holds so I replenish it once a week. It doesn't have a chance to go stagnant. That's why I get away with no power head for circulation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gotta be careful what kind of trash can you keep it in. Lots of plastic cans that leach chemicals into make up water. I like the big brute 50 gallon trash cans. I don't think you have to worry about a time limit otherwise.

I change 20% once a month. I make up the water with tap and salt, let it circulate with a small power head overnight, and change the water next day. I vacuum half the sand bed and leave the filter alone. It works for me and my fish are fine. At room temp, there isn't enough of a temp swing to cause a problem with 20% for me.

Back
Top Bottom