Weird Science

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Youve got to be kidding me. I have a 250gal bucket of IO sitting here waiting for me to open it when i run out of my Red Sea garbage, (next water change, and thats tomorrow) and now, IO is slacking. If your test results are so bad, what salts are you going to switch to? I need to make a dicision ASAP so I would like to know what happent to the quality of IO.

I don't know what happened to IO, but I think it is becoming more and more regular to see inconsistant results with IO. I'm sure there are many that if testing would find their bag/bucket of IO to be well within normal parameters, but I have used 3 bags of IO over the last year that I have been back in the hobby, and every one has tested low in CA and high in ALK, to the extent that it has become common place for me to add calcium chloride to the new SW, to raise CA and deplete the alk. I have no idea what the Mg was, prior to getting my test kit on Mon. About 5-6 years ago when I worked for an LFS, we tested several bags of IO, the CA always came out between 370 and 400 ppm,, the alk always measured in at 3.5-4.0 meq/L and the Mg always measured between 900 and 1200 ppm. It was a very consistant salt. I suppose that with the boom of the SW industry over that time period, quality control is not what it used to be ;)

FWIW, I have switched to Tropic Marin, when I had my reef several years ago I used Reef Cystals (although this is made by the same people that make IO) and never had problems, and I have heard nothing but good things about Kent Salt.

For anyone following this thread...I posted my Wierd science thread on another forum as well as this one, and have had some interesting info posted. The link is >>here<<, if you'd like to read it. Might put some of the IO users minds at rest. If you have any questions about the links posted, feel free to post them here and if I can't answer them (quite likely) I'll post them over there and Boomer should answer them ;)

I have not read the links posted yet, no time this morning, but plan to this afternoon.

I noticed one of the links that boomer gave was a rather extensive salt analysis done back in 1999.

This reminded me of a new project that was collecting funds back in March to do a simular set of tests on salt mix's now 4 years later to see if the results obtained back in 1999 are still accurate.

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27367

Above is a link that will take you to the topic that talks about this new project that appears to be partially still in the fund rasing stage.

Now im suffering from information overload. I basically have 3 choices:

1. Open and use the IO salts keeping an eye on my levels and supplimeting if I find anything lacking.

2. Open and test the salts, where as if i find that the levels are unacceptable, i cannot return the container so i will have to use it anyway, there is no way i am dumping a 200gal bucket of salts.

3. See if the company i bought the bucket from will take it back, wich is doubtfull because i purchased it from an online warehouse over a month ago, and use a different manufacturers salts.

I think that i will just use the salts as is, and keep a close eye on things. I have a 1 55gal and 1 10 gal tank so that 200gal bucket of IO will last me a considerable amount of time.

Kevin,

What are you using for calcium chloride?
Are you buying lab grade or some aquarium specific commercial product?

I have not tested Mg yet. I need to get a test kit.
Anyone have recommendations on brands to use?

What are you using for calcium chloride?
Are you buying lab grade or some aquarium specific commercial product?

I use turbo Calcium by Kent (it is a dry form of calcium chloride), I use it cause I had it, when it runs out, I will probably buy some liquid calcium (kents), and keep in on hand, just in case.

Anyone have recommendations on brands to use?

The Seachem kit I have is pretty easy to use and tests accurate according to the reference. I would also recommend a Salifert kit.

Well, i cracked open the bucket of IO and started using it this week. Ill let you know how it goes. I can tell you that i do like the fact the is disolves quickly with very no setteling on the bottom of the bucket.

Help me clear up some confusion I have on the subject. From everything presented, am I missing where the high levels of mg being detrimental to livestock. Is the concern over these levels and the potential damage it may cause, the quality control mentioned above in regards to CA and ALK levels, or something else that you have switched to Tropic Marin?

Sorry Hoops, I just re-read my first post and the reason I switched is clear as mud :oops:

Since starting this tank a year ago, I have had balance problems with newly mixed salt, as well as a low PH. I have been able to successfully correct the balance issues (low CA and very high ALK) with the use of calcium chloride, about 1/2 teaspoon of Turbo Calcium per 5 gallon bucket of newly mixed SW. I was pretty tired of having to do this. I have read enough of the same problems on the net to know I am not the only one experiencing these problems with IO (so either there is some quality control problems or we are all doing the same thing wrong), however, the vast majority of experience with IO is good. I had actually bought the Tropic Marin, at the same time I bought the Mg kit, so the switch had nothing to do with the high Mg levels, but when I saw the results, it did make me wonder why the levels would be so high.

Since switching salts, my CA and ALK levels are in balance and the Mg is coming down to a natural level.

Ahh, much clearer than mud now :D . Thanks for the info, being a user of IO I wanted to have a sure handle on the potential problems so I could focus on any necessary corrections. If you remember my pm on PH problems I had a short time ago, this may me something I have to look at closer.

Back
Top Bottom