Well Water???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denwhite16

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, my dad is getting ready to set up a 92 gallon corner, and I was wondering is I should advise him to get an ro/di unit. I know I had to get one cause I have city water and was having cyano problems. But he has well water, and I didn't know if well water caused a whole different set of problems, or if it would be ok.

Tap or well.. he should be using RO/DI. There's nothing in it and salt mix gives everything needed. :)

Seems to me like well water would have a lot of bacteria, chemicals, and just overall more contamination than tap water.

it would really depend on the well, shallow wells tend to be rougher on things than a good deep rock one. It tends to be the deeper it is the better the water is as far as whats in it, we had one that was a bit over 300 feet and was the softest, cleanest tasting water around.

the town i live in is fed off of a few different wells, and let me tell you, the water is garbage.

Freshwater? Or Saltwater?
Hmmmm........either way I Would Go With A RO/DI Unit :)

We had a well in Spain, fed from volcanic rock... NO WAY would I feed it to my fish, or baby! Full of stuff! BIG mis-understanding that it is "Pure."

Freshwater? Or Saltwater?
Hmmmm........either way I Would Go With A RO/DI Unit :)

For SW I agree you should go RO/DI, even with a well. I have a well and I HAVE to use a filter because of the hardness of the water (my 10 micron filter turns red from iron after 10g of water has been made).

For FW I disagree...

When you add the salt to the RO/DI for SW you are adding minerals and needed things back into the water. With FW you don't do that. I used tap for my FW.

Smitty said:
For FW I disagree...

When you add the salt to the RO/DI for SW you are adding minerals and needed things back into the water. With FW you don't do that. I used tap for my FW.

In Freshwater...... True.... In a sense..... I would use a RO unit with out the DI PART ... more or less just to rid the water of sediment,chlorine,ECT.

Back
Top Bottom