What are the best filter systems and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where is Pure Reef located exactly? I live south of Atlanta in Mcdonough never heard of it. We got Blue Planet in Stockbridge my fav store. I bet I've spent $2500 the past year there, qyality stuff at great prices! Back to subject; Peppers worked on my 160 pounds of rock and no sight of aptasia in past year.....

Pure Reef is far from you my brother but a great place if your ever on the North side. I get my supplies for my business there. Take 75n to 85n then 400. Its really in Milton off Hwy 9. They have a website. Atlanta Aquarium is also good he's off Pleasant Hill Rd before Satellite Blvd. he has a very unique selection of rock. Nice guy opened almost a year ago.

Georgia said:
Pure Reef is far from you my brother but a great place if your ever on the North side. I get my supplies for my business there. Take 75n to 85n then 400. Its really in Milton off Hwy 9. They have a website. Atlanta Aquarium is also good he's off Pleasant Hill Rd before Satellite Blvd. he has a very unique selection of rock. Nice guy opened almost a year ago.

10-4, thanx I will next time Im north of ATL. That is a ride!

Aquaclear is good as long as you get a little bigger than needed ex)a 20g in a 10g tank

I use 2 AC's on my 55 fowlr. One i use a bag of fluval carbon and two bags of purigen and the other 2 bags of phosguard tank stays at 0-0-3 consistently. On my 30g reef i use a AC 50 with filter floss replaced weekly n purigen that tank stays at 0-0-2. Best filters out there just squeeze the sponges out in tank water weekly.

Edro said:
I use 2 AC's on my 55 fowlr. One i use a bag of fluval carbon and two bags of purigen and the other 2 bags of phosguard tank stays at 0-0-3 consistently. On my 30g reef i use a AC 50 with filter floss replaced weekly n purigen that tank stays at 0-0-2. Best filters out there just squeeze the sponges out in tank water weekly.

AC 110's on my fowlr......

Most people say hang on is useless n a nitrate factory. I have never had issues in over 5 years. Im my 30g reef i have had my linkia starfish for 2 years so AC's n purigen must be the secret!!!!!!!

Any product I plan on buying I always google on amazon to check the reviews. I like going by a group of people instead of one persons opinion. If it has a overall good rating compared to one persons experience with another, then it helps narrow down your options to what's best. Why I chose my fluval 306 canister filter and never looked back.

Fluval products in general are great again AC n fluval all made by hagen. I use the 405 on my 110g african cichlid tank works great.

What is an AC?

So you stuffed the back of your filter with "chemical filtration"? - ie carbon?

I hear ya! For the last 20 years the basics haven't changed only the products

I like to K. I. S. S. it just make this less geeky and more enchanting

Aqua clears made by Hagen = Hagen products are pretty good. But since switching to eheim canister filters I will stay with using eheim from here on out.

Georgia said:
What is an AC?

So you stuffed the back of your filter with "chemical filtration"? - ie carbon?

I hear ya! For the last 20 years the basics haven't changed only the products

I like to K. I. S. S. it just make this less geeky and more enchanting

Aquaclear; I like the ease of maintaining and cleaning them. You cab get them on Amazon for the best price my 110's which filter 500 gallons an hour were $51 when I bought them compared to say Petsmart which is like $70.

I tend to be a Keep-it-simple sort of guy and I had good luck with a 110 FOWLR that utilized 2 HOB skimmers and 2 Fluval canister filters. I had 150lbs of live rock, stocked the tank fairly lightly and I was very happy with the result.
I moved and I am now setting up a new tank with the same plan: HOB skimmers and canister filter. My personal take is that the key is to have a good amount of live rock and avoid over-stocking - but that's just my 2 cents

I went the wet-dry route. I have live rock gravel below the mechanical filter pads. Have a large skimmer in the sump and about 150lbs of live rock in the tank. Working great and all readings are good.

jsl118 said:
I went the wet-dry route. I have live rock gravel below the mechanical filter pads. Have a large skimmer in the sump and about 150lbs of live rock in the tank. Working great and all readings are good.

Can you send me a picture of it

I have to upload my pics of my equipment, but here is a link to my FOWLR webpage (still under construction). It contains model numbers of all the equipment I am running. Hope this helps while I upload images of my filter.

Our 90g FOWLR Saltwater Tank

jsl118 said:
I have to upload my pics of my equipment, but here is a link to my FOWLR webpage (still under construction). It contains model numbers of all the equipment I am running. Hope this helps while I upload images of my filter.

Yeah ill be looking forward to the pics. Have a super night!!

jsl118 said:

You modified the proclear 300? If so could you show pictures? I would like to do the same thing so any info you can provide would be grateful.

Picture of my wet/dry

You can see the live rock gravel on the left bottom. The sump to the right has my skimmer, heater and pump.

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 59
Just a quick list of what I have:
100 lbs live rock

20 lbs Live Sand

Koralia 1400s x 2

CPR Aquatic Continuous Siphon Overflow

Pro Clear Aquatic Wet/Dry model 300

2lbs live rock gravel

1200 gps return pump - sump