What is the light clearance needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket2001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a 90 gal tank and am thinking i am going to set up a FOWLR tank. I also have a 55 gal tank coming soon and want to set up another freshwater tank. Since i'm going to have three tanks soon I am thinking of constructing a stand that stacks the three tanks on top of each other.
(I know welder that constucts metal framework)
Since I am most likely having the tank with the liverock in the middle what clearance do i need from the top of the tank to the appropriate lighting?

Rocket2001 said:
Since I am most likely having the tank with the liverock in the middle what clearance do i need from the top of the tank to the appropriate lighting?
That's just it, the height would depend on the light type you choose. MH would need to be 6-12" depending on bulb intensity. Fluorescent lights of all types can pretty much sit right on the tank rim as long as they are long enough and have a splash shield.

Cheers
Steve

OK then..from my first draft for the design of the stand I get about 6" max from the top of the tank. If I'm going to have heathly liverock is this enough? And what is the preffered lighting type.

Rocket2001 said:
If I'm going to have heathly liverock is this enough? And what is the preffered lighting type.
Sorry to answer it this way but without knowing the lights you will be using it's difficult to be acurate. With just fluorecent style lighting (PC, VHO or T5HO) that would actually be a bit high. With MH, it might not be high enough depending on bulb intensity chosen (175w, 250w or 400w) and amount of bulbs.

The light you choose is also dependant on the types of corals you will wish to keep. As a general rule HO fluorescents in the right intensity will support most soft, LPS and a few select species of SPS.

If wanting a wide variety of SPS and clams, MH would be the minimum required. If it was for let's say the 90 gal, you would need 2x250w MH with optional actinic supplimentation. That would require a minimum 8" height from the water line to the bulbs.

Also keep in mind that you will need "wiggle room" for yourself to work within each tank. If you need to remove a light strip/hood each time, it will become quite the PITA.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom