What kind of salt for FOWLR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmelski

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've read that a FOWLR should be treated as a reef tank. I've been adding Purple up to my BC 29 to get the corraline algae going. I was wondering when I'm ready to move up to a bigger tank should I go with Instant Ocean reef crystals for the added trace elements that come in it? Can I switch to reef crystals for my next PWC when my regular sea salt (Instant Ocean)runs out? I would like to get some beginner corals in my BC 29. I currently have 2 clowns, a bi color angel(which is a PIA to get to eat), and various snails.

Any Salt would work Most folks Prefer Reef Crystal... IMO I use Oceanic Salt but you use whatever you feel That works for you, on this Forum Salt mix is not a subject you don't want to start on. My suggestion is use it and stay with what works for you.... You can use as many different salt you like for a FOWLR some start out using Instant Ocean and Other start out using Coral Reef pro. Pretty much Like i said your preference.... Hope that helps... (y)

Agree with Tank... find a salt you can get easily, and stick with it. Practically all commercial salts will have all the stuff you need for good coralline algae growth - assuming you do water changes every week or 2 weeks to replace the consumed calcium/etc. For that reason, I'd stop dosing the PurpleUp. In some cases it can do more damage than good, but with a FOWLR it shouldn't really be an issue. Just money you don't need to spend.

Thank you for he advice. I'll switch to reef crystal. it seems that I can get it easier.

Back
Top Bottom