What to feed valentini puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, i have a valentini puffer in my 37 gallon and he wont eat anything but jumbo krill,brine shrimp, and live ghost shrimp. Its getting a little expensive feeding him brine shrimp every day and krill once a week. (not so much the krill but the BS.) do you know any prepared foods i can feed him?

Go to the seafood counter at your local grocer and see if they carry raw squid, clams, etc. Buy a little bit of each & see if he likes any of it.
Don't forget that they need to feed on hard-shell items occasionally to wear down their teeth/beaks.

Go to the seafood counter at your local grocer and see if they carry raw squid, clams, etc. Buy a little bit of each & see if he likes any of it.
Don't forget that they need to feed on hard-shell items occasionally to wear down their teeth/beaks.

Where could i get that? The lfs never has it.

Not lfs. Go to the seafood isle at your grocery store to buy raw food for your fish.

I have had my Blue Spotted Toby for a year now, and I feed it frozen Krill. That keeps it's teeth down. Never fed mine clams in the shell.

My guy eats everything I put in almost! also your local pet store should have frozen food packs. I got a varatiy pack that comes with squid and brine shrimp and more.

They do, i have a whole freezer of brine shrimp and some freeze dried jumbo krill, also might get a variety pack soon, does anyone know about this stuff called LRS? My lfs says its the best you can by in frozen foods

Freeze any live food. Never thaw, then refreeze. Thaw in a bowl of aquarium water. Make sure the food is not still cold after thawing.

Food from the grocery store in my area (such as raw shrimp) is a lot cheaper and meatier than the stuff at LFS.

Freeze any live food. Never thaw, then refreeze. Thaw in a bowl of aquarium water. Make sure the food is not still cold after thawing.

Food from the grocery store in my area (such as raw shrimp) is a lot cheaper and meatier than the stuff at LFS.

So should i just go get raw shrimp from the grocery store and stick it in the tank? Or should i prepareit in some way?

get raw seafood, freeze it to kill a handful of possible harmful bacteria, then thaw the amount you want to feed in a bowl of tank water until reaches room temp, then feed. that is all, nothing else special is needed.

Just remember to feed things with shells on every so often to grind the teeth down. Mine would eat whatever I fed him but went mad for king prawn

Back
Top Bottom