What to use to keep water clean other than protein skimmer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike-portocarrero

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys this is the deal I have a 75 gallon hexagon tank it has a canapé and has no access to hang anything from the back. With that said I have been told to cut the canapé and hang a skimmer, can't do that cuz it will ruin the canapé and the whole look I have been runing this tank with fish only live sand,live Rock for over 8 months now . I have it runing with an FX5 since it has the input and output build in on the bottom of the tank and I cannot use a sump cuz I can't hang and overflow box and I won't be able to stop the flow coming down and it will just overflow the sump, anyways my real question here is since I can't hang a skimmer and I havent for over 8 months and have about 10 fish in there, I have had no problems and no fish have died , I am doing 10% water changes every week but I was told that I could use something to clean the gunk that the skimmer is suppose to clean and maintain the water clean and not have to do water changes every week, I know guys all or must of u will say skimmer, skimmer well that's not an option cuz I won't cut the canapé also keep in mind that I have read of a lot of people being successful with fish only tanks and no skimmer for years but they don't say what they use to clean the water instead of the skimmer and was wondering if someone new what I could use I was putting stress zyme weekly not sure if that's helping since I just read that stress zyme don't clean that. well I tank u for ur Time reading and ur advice good day

There are 2 ways you can retrofit your tank without damaging anything and allowing a sump. The easiest method is to add a stand pipe inside your tank to the drain hole. If you can screw a fitting or connect a hose or plastic pipe inside the tank to the drain then extend it to just below the waterline. Now the tank will only drain down to the top of the stand pipe. You should really also do that to the return line as well as check valves are not 100% reliable, especially when exposed to algae.

Back
Top Bottom