When should i add live rock and sand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Habitat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just mixed my H2O tonight and the hydrometeor says, everything is cool. How Long should I wait before adding live rock and sand? I have a 20 gallon tank with a Prizim hang-on Skimmer, H.O.T. canister hang-on, 2 pwr. heads, and 96watt compact Coralife quad 50/50. I'm going to buy a nice test kit tomorrow. I would like to have a very small amount of live corals eventually, but for now just live rock, substrate, and a few fish. Thnx- Newbie :?:

Has the tank the cycled yet? If not, are you planning on using the LR to start the cycling process? With a new tank you can add the LR anytime after getting the SW mixed and to the proper specific gravity and temperature. Ammonia produced by die off from the LR will get the nitrifying bacteria growing and the cycle going.

I also have a 20 gallon with a prizm, 2 powerheads and about 30 lbs LR. Let the LR do most of your filtration. I would only run GAC in canister, no filter pads, they can cause more problems than they solve. Rely on hermits and detrivores for your mechanical filtration. Otherwise happy reefing.

Back
Top Bottom