When to do first partial water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank is cycling right now and I just tested the nitrites and they are showing their first signs of dropping (was really high, now about 1.0 ppm). This means that the nitrogen cycle is almost complete, right?

Once the nitrites drop and the nitrates are in normal range, should I proceed to add fish or do a partial water change first? I read somewhere that this should be done after cycling before adding livestock.

After your nitrites drop you can do the pwc to get the nitrates down. By the time your nitrites drop you should have a nice hi level of trates.
After that pwc you can add fish. I do wait a few extra days with testing to make sure its all good but its up to you. :)

Awesome, this is exciting!! I'm so impatient lol but learning to be patient.

I need to plan a maitenance schedule. Since a 5 gallon bucket is so handy, I was thinking I could do a 5 gallon PWC (my tank is 55g but probably only 50 gallons in the tank). This would be a 10% PWC. What is best. Weekly? Bi-Weekly?

I do my cichlid tank every week. I also would recomend a python water changer. hooks right up to your sink and drains and fills at the flip of a switch. You will be doing at least 10 gallons a week so it's well worth the $30 that it costs. :)

just be patient a little longer..... I know its hard. lol
Do you know what your gonna stock?

Thanks, I will look that up!
So you recommend 10 gallons weekly?

I'm planning on emulating a fish tank I saw at the doctor's office. A yellow tang, blue tang, clownfish, and chromes. I may wing it a little bit if I see something I like and is compatible.

A couple snails too!

Yep 10 gallons is about 20% so that sounds good.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but a 55 is too small for tangs. :-( i'm really bummed out about it too, just bought a new 55g SW setup today adn I wish i could get tangs too.

Really? The one I saw was in what looked like a 29g bio-cube tank. I guess what's done isn't always right, huh?

I guess I will have to research some new livestock then. I don't want any unhappy or unhealthy fish!

I also have a bunch of questions about how to do the PWC.. but fear I am stinking up the forum with my newbieness lol.

It's your thread ask away. :)

Yeah def research try liveaquaria.com. It shows all the information you need to start with.

You arent going corals or anything are ya?

No.. no corals. It seems like a lot more to digest and I am very new to this. I would like to soak up more information before I try anything else.

Thanks for the link.

For the PWC, I was thinking I'd fill up a container with tap water, add the Prime (takes chlorine and things out), mix in the salt to match the tank water SG, and let it sit for about a day to completely mix. Then use the python water changer you mentioned above to siphon out some water and add the new in.

Anything wrong there?

Should I get an extra powerhead and heater for the mixing container?

The way i do it is to treat the tank the water is going into with the prime. I make 3 gallon buckets of salt water here and let it sit to let the salt dissolve.

Oh, your using tap water? Hmm. I know its bad for a reef tank not too sure if it matters with a fish only tank. Someone else will have to chime in on that one or maybe you can search the FOWLR sub directory.

Oh and trust me, the tangs are a no. theres plenty of threads here about it, actually I started one yesterday I think and people gave the no go on the 55g. I sooo want a yellow tang. Heck, I'll even take the dwarf mini tang but i think the kole tang requires 75 gallons minimum. :-( **cry**

Tangs are a no. You know their motto, "Just keep swimming, jut keep swimming!". Lol. I am sorry about the sudden change in plans for you though. I'm a freshie, so I don't know many fish in saltwater, or what they need.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Do you guys have any suggestions for an eye-popper? The tangs just demand attention and awe. I don't know many fish.

I have a thread on that too. i'm looking for a centerpiece fish right now. You can start with the obligatory clown fish. Gobies and blennies are really cool too.
If your not going reef you can get some smaller angel fish. I;d check those out

In my 55 I have
2 black clowns
2 banghai cardinals
1 coral beauty
1 cleaner wrasse
2 bloodshrimp
3 cleaner shrimps
My bi color might be moving back into the 55 if my Picasso I gonna eat him! Tank looks great lots going on and the bio load hasn't been overwhelming :)

i'm looking for a centerpiece fish too when i eventually start adding fish my cycle is done

Thank you guys! Many options to choose from. I have a lot of googling to do :D

I'm going to walmart right now to buy one of those plastic bin tub thingies for the water changes. Since i'm going to be doing 10g water changes, i'll look for a slightly larger bin than 10g.

Keep in mind you have to lift the tub when its full. I think reg water weighs 8 lbs per gallon. SW is heavier too.

Keep in mind you have to lift the tub when its full. I think reg water weighs 8 lbs per gallon. SW is heavier too.

Good point. I have a table nearby that is about the same height as the aquarium. I could fill it up on the table and then try to siphon the saltwater into the aquarium.

The smallest walmart had was 18g.

Although, I don't see anything wrong with taking a 1 gallon pitcher and scooping the saltwater mix out of the bin. Might be a little time consuming but only 10 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom