Where do the fish go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OneBowl

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, this is more of a rhetorical question than anything, but comments are welcome.

In setting up a 72 gallon reef-ready (Oceanic) FOWLR tank, if I shoot for 1.75 pounds of LR per gallon, plus the oft-recommended 4-6" DSB, then factor in the volume eaten up by the overflow, that doesn't leave a whole heck of alot of room for fish, does it?

Any ideas as to the net available water volume in the tank after the above set-up? I understand that the density of the LR impacts the calculation, so for argument's sake, assume the LR comes from liverocks.com and is of typical displacement for the weight. Any suggestions for how to squeeze a bit more available volume in the display? A 25 gallon sump will be used, so I have that angle covered. Thanks.

I have a 75g set up wth 105pds lr. Trust me their is plenty of room in my tank. I have room in front, back, and top of the lr for them to swim. It seems like a whole lot, but when you get it in their you will see. Just a little piece of rock weighs a lot. I plan on getting 50 more pounds.

HTH! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom