where's firefish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mephistopheles

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't know if this is the right forum for this post but...

atleast five days ago my firefish goby (emily) went missing in my 30 gallon cube FOWLR tank. I have no idea what happened to her other than maybe she got lost in the LR. perhaps even stuck. has anyone else lost a small fish after getting stuck in the liverock?

anyway, I haven't seen it but my mother said she saw a "worm" like a tape worm she said about and inch and a half long swimming around in there. I have no idea if these two instances are connected. But any help concerning either of them will be appreciated.
I'm very concerned because all of the fish, including emily have been doing very well and acting very curious and energetic. those include a blue devil damsel and a black ocelarious (sp?) clownfish

If your tank does not have an eggcrate lid or similar, there is a good possibility it could have jumped. Check around the tank area unless you have pets. Firefish are very prone to carpet surfing. After 5 days and a no show, it might not be there 8O

If the fish passed in the tank, any worms or other critters may have consumed the fish but they would not be the cause of death.

Cheers
Steve

My FireFish hides really good. Usually some food does the trick.

5 days is a long time to go missing in a 30 gllon tank.

Good Luck.

Well she always hid really well which is why I wasn't really concerned untill now but someone has always been able to find her and she never went more than a couple days without coming out in the morning to eat (which is the only regular time that they get fed). She also hadn't been acting that shy lately.

It's possible that she jumped although I think highly unlikely. She would have had to aim for a tiny ~2in sq. hole cut in the corner of the weighty lid (only opening for my tubing/heater cord). I'll check anyway.

There is no noticeable stress by the remaining inhabitants so I'm hopeful that she did not die of disease.

I'm interested to know though if anyone has had a gobie (or anyfish for that matter) get caught amongst the tangles of some extremely porous LR (such as mine). Like wedged themselves in there so they couldn't get out.

I hope I just can't find her but that she's still alive and well. I'm fairly stressed about this.

She's too small to fit in there. something just occured to me though. Supossing she did die while in the one of the pores in the LR. Is it okay to just leave nature to it's course or should I see if I can shake what's left out of there and give her a proper burial at sea? I've pretty much accepted the fact that I'm not gonna see her alive again. But I really wish I knew where she went. I'll check the filter canister and tubing tomorrow just in case but I really don't think she could've fit. And I didn't find her around the tank (and no other non-aquatic pets to carry her off in the event of "carpet-surfing").

I realize there's not a whole lot that you guys can do to help. but I appreciate an audience for my frustration anyway.

I had a few small fish go missing during my first few months with the tank. It probably won't hurt the tank to leave it there, but if you want to move some rock around and look for her just to have some closure I guess that would be good also...was it getting harrassed by the others? They can be fairly aggressive...

Firefish problems

My firefish died on sunday October 3rd. I bought a new purple one yesterday october 6th. But it is perching/ resting on the sand and not swimming a lot should i be worried?? The top fin (you know the long one that looks like a needle) is not there. Is that bad? and how bad?

Thanks for you help

My firefish went missing for a while, caught him going into his new home once, tiny little place in the LR that I didn't plan for him, and never thought he could fit in.

Never went missing for five days though.. hope you find him.

Turned out that my purple firefish ended up dying that day and i bought another beautiful regular firefish. However now my pagoda coral isn't opening any longer and my sebae anemone isn't eating. Any suggestions? I tried feeding the anemone a guppy and nothing!! Thanks for the advice!

OOOOHHHH Guppy?????? They need shrimp, clams, scallops... Small enough to fit in there mouth. If its too big they will spit it out.
Go the the super market and buy a few small uncooked shrimp and cut ti into small pieces for the anemone.
How long have you had them both?

i've had the pagoda for since september and the anemone since beginning of august. the anemone is really small and doesn't eat that i see. Also i was wondering if i should feed my hammer head coral? i will try to find some shrimp to feed my anemone thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom