which goby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will8

Aquarium Advice Activist
need some help in choosing a fish to hang out in the sand and help turn it over and keeping it clean. tank is 100g, with 2 common clowns, flame angel, coral beauty,humbug damsel,PBT and a royal gramma. this would be my last fish.
put a tiger watchman goby in about 4 weeks ago. never seen it since, so i think it must of dead, and my arrow crab and co had a good meal. abit cheesed about that cos he was a pretty looking fish.

thanks melosu58, been looking at the bullet on the net, nice fish, not as nice as the tiger goby that i had and didnt live. but i want a good worker to keep my sand clean, iam right in saying you need live sand in the tank, (which i do not have). so they get enough food wouldnt want to starve them. and they do best in pairs. iam right? want to make sure i know everything about them before buying.

Don't get a yellow head sleeper goby. I bought it early in my aquarium education and I did not research it. I bought it on impulse cause it was pretty. After I got home I read up on it and I knew I was in trouble. They said the life span in an aquarium is about 7 months and that is almost exactly how long it lasted. It basically starved to death. I tried everything; sinking food, live food, Rod's, cyclopese, Krill, seaweed. Nothing worked, it was awful. I learned a valuable lesson, I have never bought anything since without researching it first. As much as I complained about the mess he made sifting the sand with the silt everywhere, now my tank really needs something to stir the sand. I have been researching what I am going to get but no decisions yet. I will watch this thread for ideas too, thanks for asking it.

You dont need to add live sand just rinse some dry sand and seed it with a cup or two of sand from your LFS tank. I would give it a month or two for the fauna to spread out and then you might be able to go. He will clean the trash out of the sand also. I would try also to get one that eats flake or mysis or some other prepared food. Just get the LFS to feed the tank and see if he eats. This will help in case the sand runs out of stuff in it.

thanks again melosu58, i will do abit more reseach on it and speak to the LFS though they are not very hopeful. i will keep you posted. thanks for your info as well land locked.

Back
Top Bottom