Which is the best protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CountZero

Aquarium Advice Activist
What would be the best type protein skimmer for a 55 gal FOWLR and a 120 Gal Reef? Brand and model?
Thanks,
Zero

Whats your budget?

There are many good skimmers out there but the prices can vary significantly from under $100 to over $250. Are both these tanks shairing a common sump or will you be looking for two skimmers?

2 skimmers. The 120 gallon I would like to set a sump up with so that one can be internal, But I dont have plans as of yet to add a sump to the 55 gal. I want to go with a decent quality but I would like to keep it as cheap as possible without ending up with crap :mrgreen:
Zero

My suggestion for the 120g in sump would be a Berlin or, even better, a Berlin XL. Use no less than a Mag 7 pump or a 9.5 for the XL. For the 55, I'd go with an Aqua C Remora with the Maxi Jet pump.
I have never used the Via Aqua skimmer so I don't know if it's any good. It looks overly complicated to me. I think the Aqua C would be much better.

AquaC Remora, or similiar design.

Why?

Because it only requires a power head to push water, not make foam. It's built in spray injector is more consistent in terms of operation from unit to unit than any powerhead/venturi based skimmer I've used.

Any, and mean *any* skimmer that uses an off the shelf power-head head to move water *and* act as a bubble maker is a big, random variable. For instance, if you have your power head tilted ever so slightly down, bubbles will build up in the impellar chamber changing their size and consistency. The result is varying efficiency since large bubbles dramatically reduce the efficiency of any skimmer regardless of how fancy the mixing chamber it is. This is why we get wildly varying reports on how good some skimmers are, yet some brands are always consistent.

FOr the 55 maybe the new designed Prizm Pro Deluxe with the surface overflow attachment.

I think the recommendation for teh berlin xl for the 120 is a good one. Sizing the pump on the berlin is important.

You guys kick butt! Thanks for being so helpful. I am really interested in trying the combo unit out maybe for the 55, but I am ordering the berlin xl for sure for the 120. Any recommendations on what model pump to use with it?
Thanks again,
Zero

P.S. if I get the combo unit I will let you know how it works out for me

Back
Top Bottom