Which Protein Skimmer - Bak-Pak 2 or Aqua C Remora ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was wondering if anyone had comments on which protein skimmer i should get. It will be placed in a 45 Gallon tank that i plan on purchasing REAL soon. I know i dont need it yet, but sold some stuff on ebay and gonna buy it soon. It will be a FOWLR. My main concern is that it is QUIET and does a good Job.

TIA

I have a Remora C and have been unhappy with it. It pours out billions of micro-bubbles. Suppose to be normal for first month but they won't go away on mine. They sell a $42 prefilter box to eliminate it so consider that with your cost for this unit.

One thing to remember with the bak pak is it needs more cleaning and up keep then the remora. The air venturis will clog with salt creep almost monthly. Both are good though.

I got an aquac remora skimmer. It works great , no adjustments needed. I figured out how to stop the micro bubbles by placing a sponge on the returns and wrap a rubber band around it to hold it there. Works like a charm.

I'm running two Remoras and I don't have any bubbles from either one. Both of them did make bubbles for a while though. I'm using MJ1200 pumps on both and don't have prefilters on either unit. YMMV though.

What kind of sponge should I use? Do they sell them at most LFS? I gotta try this.

Loganj...How long did it take for the bubbles to go away for you?

My vote goes for the Remora. I have one and absolutly love it. Very quiet, micro bubbles were gone within 2-3 weeks and it's been running perfect for 4 months. No setup, no adjustments to worry about, and only weekly collection cup maintenance. I just cleaned the entire unit a couple weeks ago, took maybe 15 minutes.

I have never used a Bak Pak, but I also was faced with your same decission. I am happy I spent the extra money on the Remora.

Back
Top Bottom