White filmy stuff growing in filter tubing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mdmike52

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 23 gallon cubic pulse 80 jellyfish Aquarium which is an upgrade from my smaller Nano cylinder. I have this white filmy translucent stuff growing in my external filter tubing. When I increase my flow rate above half it starts peeling off and being ejected into the tank through the return hose. This tank has been up and running only 2 months. Smaller tank also with external filtering never had this problem. The filter eventually sucks it all back up but until then looks pretty bad. Little chunks of white translucent filmy stuff floating around the tank.

I used to get this all the time with a canister filter that had hoses in and out. I figured it was a build up of beneficial bacteria, and yes when i cleaned the filter media and the pressure went up it blew snot everywhere.

Hated that, so i changed to a HOB and never went back.

Im of the opinion that canister filters without constant maintenance are really just little septic tanks. just my opinion of course.

That is a good point on canisters, but all kinds of stuff like this can build up. Those of us that don't use canisters most likely have stuff like this in our filter socks or pulled out with protein skimmers.

Back
Top Bottom