White Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm new to saltwater, and have started a 10 gallon FOWLR tank. It's currently cycling, but nearly done. I actually think it's done now, considering ammo and nitrites were both 0 today, and will determine it tomorrow.

Anyways, that's not the point. I have a couple of live rocks in there, and intend to get a couple more for habitat. However, over the cycling process. One of the rocks has turned white. The other is bright red, but now one is white. Is this something I should worry about? I know that live rock can die, so is this one dead?

Information that may help: I use Instant Ocean salt. Last time I checked salinity, it was at 1.028 (I will lower it to a better level after cycling). As I said earlier, both ammonia and nitrites are 0 (although nitrites may just be lazy after not getting any ammonia for two days). Nitrates are very high at 160 ppm now. pH is 8.2 last I checked, which was two days ago.

Any suggestions! Thanks!

Do u have any lighting? If not, thats probably why the rock died. Wow, 160 on the trates! That could also be a contributing factor. Time for a water change.

Why is it white?? Im curious to know... Only reason i didnt respond is because i wasent sure

Alot of time the color will change white when just changing over. It will turn back. The nitrifying bacteria is OK as you cant see that. Everything is fine and the color will back before long.

I read that it was coralline algae dying off. Idk why but that's what my research has resulted in.

So I realize that the rock has always been white but I just noticed it when I turned it around and saw the white. The other half is very faded red. Would the white color be only natural then?

By the way, the cycle is complete. I brought nitrates down to 80 ppm in a PWC and will bring it even lower because I'm getting snails and crabs tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom