Why are my fish dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric faatz

Aquarium Advice Freak
i've been losing my fish ,1 coral beauty,1 flamed angle,1 bangi cardinal,1 long hose butter fly.the first two in the last two days.i have a75gal fowlr.i do my water changes every weekend,test the params weekly.salinity at 1.023,ph 8.0,ammonia 0ppm.nitrite 0.25ppm,nirtrate 0ppm,temp at78. iturned my protien skimmer up to get more junk out of my tank. alot of bubbles and when i do this the fish seem to hide.when i feed them the bubbles get more intense.went to my lfs they assured me everything was fine.i'am at a stage where i don't know what to do. i'am very worried and fustrated.i know i'am doing everything right.i need some help.i'am afraid when tomorrow i will lose anther fish.i feed them brine shrimp,blood worms,mysis and seaweed for my c.c starfish.i'm stummed?:confused: the fish were all eating and swimming around fine they seem to hide and then they dont eat.my other fish are fine. could stress be the problem.the tank is in my dinning room and is in a high traffic area. especially when my grand daughter is over.always running and by the tank.the fish seem very sensevtive towards sound and people just looking at the tank.i know i don't have any deseases in my tank because my other fish would.i have in my tank now,2 scooter blennies,1 foxface,2 clowns,1flying gunard,1purple fire fish,1pamjama cardinal 2 c.c starfish,2 peppermint shrimp.well i can't think of anything else at the this time . so please help if anyone can thank you.btw my fish that died were from other lfs',but the fish i still have are from my original lfs i started with.

Last edited:
Let me just ask a few questions. 1) Have you cycled the tank? 2) Do you use tap water? 3) Do you QT fish before adding to the tank? 4) What kind of filtration are you using? I`m also worried that you might be adding too much too soon. Just tring to rule some things out. Also make a batch of SW and do your water test on the new water before you add it to the tank. Wait for 24-48 hrs before you test and add.

i have had my take for three months,i don't use tap water only reverse osmosis water.i use seaclone 100,150 protein skimmer and sump.

Please list all of the fish you currently have (alive) and their current size.

How much water are you changnig weekly?
How are you preparing it?
A weekly water channge should be around 10 gallons. The salt should be mixed a day before the change and allowed to aerate with a power head. It should be very close in temp to the tank.

It could just be that the other lfs has a problem with the livestock he is getting.
Or it could be that you have added too much livestock in a short period of time.

PJ cardinal,flying gurnard,purple firefish,fox face rabbitfish,2 scooter blennies,2 cc star,purple psuedo,cleaner shrimp, and 2 peppermint shrimp.I do a 10% water change weekly.I put it in a bucket with a power head and a heater.But,I do not let it sit over night.Btw i am planning on getting a uv sterilizer for my tank.What would be a good uv sterilizer for my 75 gal.

that seems like a lot of fish for only being up 3 mos. How long did it cycle? what kind of test's are you using? strips or chemical?

IMO the coralife turbo twist is the best when it comes to UV`s. Why do you feel you need a UV. They are basically for parasites and algea spores in the water column. I used one for 10 yrs but I dont have one now. They have their purposes IMO.

i'am using chemical,it cycled for 6 weeks.api saltwater master test kit.i think i might have a parasite and my lfs said it help save the rest of the fish.

Parasites are only the water column for a very short time. They normally are in the sand bed and go into the water column when the fish are at rest near the sand bed. A UV will probably do very little against a parasite.
Have you identified a parasite on any fish?
Your first post stated you don't have any disease in the tank? How do you know that?

The stress may be due to adding too many fish too quickly. The fact that you have detectable nitrite is a problem too.

SLOW DOWN. Nothing good ever happens fast in a salt water aquarium.

How much live rock is in the tank?
Any other filtration?
What is your substrate? Sand? How deep?

You have a couple of fish listed that will get BIG. Do you have plans to move them to larger tank later?

i have about 50lbs of lr i use a seaclone 100/150 protein skimmer,sand bed at 3 inchs,sump,18 watt odyssea uv light 1000 gph,need to figure out the flow rate. want to slow it down abit for better results.going to local hardware store to get a flow rate value,so the can pass by the uv light at a slower rate.do weekly water changes, but the nitrite is still at 0.25 ppm,nitrate 0.40ppm, ammonia 0ppm,salinity 1.023,ph at 8.2 temp at 80.i rasied it up alittle to kill ich.but didn't notice any white spots on the renaining fish. lost the flying ganard.the fish i did lose where breathing heavy didn't eat,could not tell if eyes were hazy.the one clown fish that died had a white fuzzy stuff come him,be cause i tried to give him a fresh water tip.he started to come around alittle bit but died a few min. later.the rest of fish,foxface,pj cardinal,purple fire fish,purple psuadeo seem to be fine all are eating and swimming around.did notice the water get crystal clear after the uv light was hooked up.i run the protein skimmer full throttle to get out as much junk i can. so may be your right about to many fish at one time.to much stress on the fish. it's a waiting game for now to see if anything else develops. don't know what else i can do at this pont.forgot i have 2 scooter blennies,2 c.c starfish

Last edited:
You still have detectable nitrite in your tank. You need to get that to 0. Stop feeding for a couple of days. Feed only once every other day at most, and only what is conusmed in a few minutes.
Start doing daily 20% - 30% partial water changes.
You need to get the water to a pristine state for the fish to be able to recuperate.

Now, do you have Ich in the tank?
What makes you think so?

Eric,

Water changes, Water changes,
Let me say it again PARTIAL WATER CHANGES until you get all the parameters to be 0. Do it twice a day if you have to (if you are home). At very least change 10% (10 gallons) of the water every day. 20% would be better.

Let me summarize your posts and ask for some additional information.

I have had my take for three months
i don't use tap water only reverse osmosis water.
i use seaclone 100,150 protein skimmer and sump Not a great skimmer by most accounts
iturned my protien skimmer up to get more junk out of my tank.
i don't use a hospital tank or a quaretine tank
i should have but i just don't have the means of doing it right now.
i was doing fine until i went to a different lfs and bought there fish that's when my problem's started.
i know i'am doing everything right.
i rushed thing's and i think i going to pay the price I added the bold

TANK PARAMS
i have a75gal fowlr.
50lbs of lr
i do my water changes every weekend,test the params weekly.
salinity at 1.023,
ph 8.0,
ammonia 0ppm.
nitrite 0.25ppm,
nirtrate 0ppm,
temp at78 NOW AT 80

SUBSTRATE
sand bed at 3 inchs

CYCLING
it cycled for 6 weeks
Please explain the method you used for cyclcing the tank.
Did you add fish to cycle? Did you just use the LR to cycle? Did you add bottled bacteria to cycle?
i'am using chemical
I'm not sure of the context of this statement by you. When and for what did you use a chemical? WHAT is the checmical?

FEEDING
i feed them brine shrimp,blood worms,mysis and seaweed for my c.c starfish.
the fish were all eating and swimming around fine they seem to hide and then they dont eat.
WHICH FISH ARE HIDING, WHICH FISH DON'T EAT?
my other fish are fine.
WHICH FISH ARE FINE?

PWCs
I do a 10% water change weekly.I put it in a bucket with a power head and a heater.But,I do not let it sit over night Start letting it it sit at elast overnight if not 24 hours

LOST FISH
i've been losing my fish , (my fish that died were from other lfs)
1 coral beauty,
1 flamed angle,
1 bangi cardinal,
1 long hose butter fly.
the first two in the last two days.
lost the flying ganard.the fish i did lose where breathing heavy didn't eat,could not tell if eyes were hazy.the one clown fish that died had a white fuzzy stuff come him,be cause i tried to give him a fresh water tip.he started to come around alittle bit but died a few min. later.
TODAY: lost another fish this morning when i woke up.

CURRENT FISH IN TANK (fish i still have are from my original lfs)
2 scooter blennies
1 foxface
2 clowns
1 flying gunard (SINCE DECEASED)
1 purple fire fish
1 pamjama cardinal
2 c.c starfish
2 peppermint shrimp.
1 cleaner shrimp

TANK LOCATION/ENVIRONMENT
could stress be the problem.the tank is in my dinning room and is in a high traffic area. especially when my grand daughter is over.

i know i don't have any deseases in my tank
Are you sure?

Fish can recover from a lot IF they are NOT STRESSED and have PRISTINE WATER. Pristine water can be had from regular partial water changes. Right now you do NOT have pristine water conditons. Therefore you need to start doing partial water changes until you get there. You need to do this NOW and you need to do this OFTEN (ONCE A DAY MINIMUM).

Once you get your tank in order you need to keep it that way. Do that by reduced feedings.
Feed only every other day at most and only what is consumed in a few minutes.
Add some powerheads for water movement (I didn't see any listed).
Do NOT add new fish or other livestock until you have a QT setup AND this tank has been stable for a couple of months.

In the meantime

Water changes, Water changes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that helps to save the rest of your livestock. This is not that hard once you get your tank inorder.
Remember, Nothing GOOD ever happens FAST in a salt water aquarium

fish dyeing

O.Kyou made your point.fish remaining,1 foxface comes out to eat then goes back behine the lr.although he does come once in awhile to nibble on the seaweed.1 pj cardinal,2scotter blennies,1 purple firefish,2 c.c starfish.2peppermint shrimp,1 cleaner shrimp all are eating.i'am not sure if i have any diaseases,there are no visible signs of ich or anything else.i did not use bottled bacteria to cycle the tank.i used lr,live sand,chrushed coral,i have 2 power heads running.i use a api saltwater master test kit,no chemicals.added 2 clown fish 4weeks after the setup.and they did well.parameters where all at 0ppm.until the last 3 weeks or so.will start the water changes right away.thank you.

There are hundreds of causes for your fishes to die.

One of them might be impure water. Use proper filtering system for your aquarium.

eric, Good luck. Please post back in a few days about your tank to let us know how your doing.
Yes, there are many reasons fish die. Old age and cyanide poisoning among them. Poor water quality, overcrowding, overfeeding are the usual culprits.

Have you taken a water sample to the lfs recently to check the nitrite level. Bad test kits do happen and they do expire too.

I think you must of added to many fish for your LR to handle at once, Thats why you've had a spike.

As everyone else has said, Water changes are your best friend at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom