Why do Diatoms like my tank so much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magnus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Instead of nice growths of coraline algae (tank is at the 2.5 month mark now), I am now getting my 2nd outbreak of brown algae, and the purplish snot like algae is a constant. I'm also getting quite a bit of green, short string algae.

None of my clean up crew is eating it (I don't blame them), so I've cut feeding amounts down, and to once a day, and I'm going to try a week of 5-6 hour of light, that's it. This is on top of my water changes with steam distilled water.

Anyone have any other tips for me...to encourage the good coraline algae and not the diatoms?

Brown algae, cyano, diatoms...all from high nutrients-nitrates, phosphates, silicates.

Steam distilled water must be expensive to make/buy. Did you originally fill your tank with this water? I would suggest getting yourself a RO/DI unit. They run around $100 and are well worth the money.

I suggest you keep up with the water changes, 20-30% every week. Also get some GFO and a reactor to run it in to help remove the phosphate and silicate.

Unfortunately i originally filled the tank with tap water...which is why I'm using the steam distilled to do my water changes with. I agree...I was on ebay looking at RO/DI filters...but I'm not sure what is a "good" one.

My CUC has 9 nassaria snails, and 2 ceriths. Any suggestions for other or more snails?

I'll post my chem levels friday when I'm done midnights (Friday)...

Oh, and my total CUC right now has 5 blue legged hermit crabs, a brittle starfish, a peppermint shrimp on top of the afore mentioned snails.

The 18L "jugs" of steam distilled water are costing me $5.00 a shot, and they don't last long, so I'll definately have to get my own RO/DI filter.

My CUC has 9 nassaria snails, and 2 ceriths. Any suggestions for other or more snails?

For a 55g... yeah - definitely more snails.

I'd put in easily 10 astrea and 10 trochus, or some combination of the two type. Or just 20 astrea if that's all you can get. Trochus seem hard to get right now for some reason. The astrea and trochus will have a feast on the diatoms.

I'd also put another 10 nassarius snails in there for good measure.

I know mines FW, just wanted to add that ~ last month is when diatoms finally went away for me in my 10G that I setup the 5th of March.

My 55G(again FW) I still have them and it was a used tank.

Maybe its just my tap water?

I just added 10 more small nassis and 5 large ones to my 55. I like ceriths and margaritas as well.

I like the margaritas, they seem to be able to right themselves when they fall off the rock work, astreas are not as good at doing so.

I agree with the advice given.

REally look into getting an RO/DI unit they are one of the best things you'll add to your equipment.

Good news. The less light has helped dramatically with the purple cyano. I still have issues with the brown algae, but the two turbo snails I bought are helping with that.

Here are my levels (55g tank):

KH - 107.4 ppm (the guide said this is low for SW and invertebrates, will purple up increase my KH?)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
PH - 7.8 - 8.0
Salinity - 1.022
Temp - 78

CUC
11 hermit crabs (blue legged)
1 peppermint shrimp
1 brittle star
2? Cerith Snails (only 1 seen in a while)
9? Nassaria snails (2 dead, only seen 5)

Fish
1 Percula Clown
1 Royal Gramma

Question - My snails seem to be disappearing, or dead. At one point we had 11 nasarius snails, now i've only seen 5, including 2 empty shells. I've also only seen one cerith....Any ideas?

Also, is "turbo" snails a misnomer? Mine don't move much...

Nassarius will hid in the sand. It is not uncommon for snails to die. Hermit crabs will pick at them and can kill them for their shells. I make it a habbit to add to my CUC every month. I like having lots of Nassarius snails as well as Margaritas and a few Astreas. Snails are one of the critters that you will continue to add to over the life of your tank.

will purple up increase my KH?
No. PurpleUp, which is a waste of $ IMO, is just a weak solution of calcium chloride and ground up aragonite. It shouldn't have any affect on KH. Use Arm&Hammer baking soda to raise your alk.
Use this reef chemistry calculator to figure out how much to use to raise it to where you want it.

Back
Top Bottom