will be gone for 4 days? can it last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike3epanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got the timer already for my lights... and will put alot of water before I leave so I dont have to do the top off, but do u guys think that my fish will last for four days without eating? I will feed them on monday morning but I wont be back until thursday in the evening.

I just finished with my cycle and testing it out so I barely have anything there..

I have:
1 blue damsel
2 red leg hermit
1 turbo snail
1 conch snail
1 sand snail (haven't seen it in awhile.. i think it might be dead but maybe just under the sand)

You shouldn't have to worry about anything except for the damsel. They will have enough to graze and eat for your vacation. The Damsel should be alright, but it is iffy. If you don't want to risk it, there are a couple easy options. First, you can get an automatic feeder from just about any LFS for $20 or less for a cheap model, or you could have a friend/neighbor just drop food in even once halfway through the trip to ensure the survival of your fish. To be honest though, he should be fine. If he gets desperate, he may pick at your snails in an attempt to get something to eat, but everything should live.

k thanks... i dont think I'm gonna get fish feeder since I will feed it on monday and when I get back thursday night.. thanks

mike3epanda said:
I got the timer already for my lights... and will put alot of water before I leave so I dont have to do the top off, ...

In my opinion... dumping a bunch of water in before you leave is no better than just letting the salinity gradually go higher without it. If you're wanting to adjust your salinity down before you go, just make sure you do it gradually. A sudden downward shift would probably be worse for the fish than just letting it be.

Your fish should be OK. I read that fish can go up to 2 weeks without food but I would not like to try that out. I agree with Kurt that filling it up with extra top off water and then letting it go down is not a very good idea. The key to salinity is stability and ups and downs will not accomplish that.

I just got back after being away from Wednesday to Saturday. My wife performed a top-off for me on Friday. She didn't feed the fish but they were fine. The ate like crazy today though. The tank was a little dirty though moreso than normal. I don't understand because the only thing I would have done differently was clean the glass during the time. Other than the extraordinary (Mine listed in another thread) everything should be fine.

chase33 said:
...The tank was a little dirty though moreso than normal. I don't understand because the only thing I would have done differently was clean the glass during the time. ...

I've come to the conclusion that algae on glass grows exponentially, or something. I usually clean the glass every other day. If I let it go an extra day, you'd think I'd let it go a week. Weird.

Back
Top Bottom