Worried about clownfish bully :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allisonzim28

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two clowns, ones noticeably larger than the other and I came to the conclusions she's definitely the female and my little guys the male. He's already done the shiver to her to show his "stepping down" and they've been great since. About a month later, she's been relentlessly chasing him and picking on him (no bite marks in fins or anything) especially at feeding time like he's not aloud to eat. He is a healthy guy but seems scared and his breathing is fairly heavy at times. I don't know if this is a part of the bonding ritual or if I'll have a problem! Help :( I turned the light off and added stress guard to help him relax.

I have some big (fake) plants he seems to hang between. I guess I'll have to buy a decoration for better hiding. I had a suspicion they might be spawning because they were getting along so well before.
Thank you!

i had the same issue unforuntaly the littler clown died it was bullied to death i even moved it to a qt tank but next day it was gone..same as you great for month he did the lil shake and the bigger one would harly let it eat.now i think its bullying my chromis i lost 2 in past 2 days or it could of been the blenny it had a chunk missing from it

I hope he doesn't die :( I'm going to get a good hiding place decoration and keep an eye on them. He seems to be avoiding her and still just occasionally breathing heavy but still has an appetite and I just feed him once she's done and is away from him. I'm hoping for the best

Thank you. I hope it is. They really seemed to love each other and snuggled every morning.

I noticed one of my clowns being a bully, I made sure to move around the tank and the rocks and even where the water flow was. This seems to really help when you have a bully because they will all be on the same level in terms of territory. Give it a try, sometimes its a simple fix like that. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom