Would you buy a detrivore kit from this man?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is his reputation on ebay?

If your nerveous about him, I can give you a link for a site that has gotten very good reviews.

Squishy

He has 100% feedback but I"m not sure that kit would be worth $75 plus the cost of shipping. IMO using that money to buy some LR would be a better decision(you'll get most of that stuff on the LR anyway)

I went back and read it more closely. From what I am seeing, he is offering more than any detritivor or infaune supply site will. If his product is in good shape, its an excellent deal.

I copied and pasted the contents and condensed all of his "descriptions"

* 10 Spaghetti worms
* 10 Bristleworms
* 10 Nassarius vibex Snails
* 5 Certh Snails or 5 Bumblebee Snails -- your preference
* 50 Amphipods - Gammarus Shrimp
* 50 Copepods - Mysis Shrimp
* Macroalgae - 6 species
* 2 lbs of very live Shells/Rubble -- packed with critters -- we are not interested in adding shipping weight. This is meant to seed other existing rockwork/substrate with life.
* 2 lbs. of very live Sand - again, meant to seed a larger sandbed.
* Miniature Star - white - splits on its own.
* miscellaneous worms - I have 4 different species in this system other then bristle and spaghetti worms - no flatworms
* miscellaneous stars - I have yellow mini serpant stars and green mini brittle stars in the sand in nonspecific numbers.

LR will supply some of this...but not all. It will certainly supply pods and some worms, but the macro and different types of stars...those are a maybe at best.

Personally, I may order some from him when I get a Breeding fuge set up!

Thanks for the link

Squishy

I thought it sounded pretty good. Do you think it would be good to seed my DSB in my main tank? I have live rock, but the sand is pretty dead. (old castle playsand)

He's just across the river from me. I asked if I could stop by and pick up a kit instead of shipping it. It'll probably cost the same in gas and tolls as shipping but it will only take an hour to get back to my tank.

I'll let you know what happens.

I should have looked closer as well. Didn't see the part about the macro algae's and such. Doesn't seem lilke too bad of a deal.

My suggestion on how to introduce it to your tank...Maximize it! Take a rubber maid tub, cure some sand in it and introduce the kit to the "breeding fuge". This will allow them to breed in a preditor free environment then start introducing it to your main tank slowly. Personally, whether I order from him or not, I am going to keep the breeding fuge up and running so I can continue to introduce new infauna to the dsb on a weekly or monthly basis.

My recent "research" (which consist of reading) on DBS seems to indicate that w/o continually replacing the infauna, they will eventually die off and the DSB will become toxic. I dont know about you, but I dont want to pay 100.00 every 6 months for bugs :mrgreen:

Squishy

SquishyFish said:
My suggestion on how to introduce it to your tank...Maximize it! Take a rubber maid tub, cure some sand in it and introduce the kit to the "breeding fuge". This will allow them to breed in a preditor free environment then start introducing it to your main tank slowly. Personally, whether I order from him or not, I am going to keep the breeding fuge up and running so I can continue to introduce new infauna to the dsb on a weekly or monthly basis.

My recent "research" (which consist of reading) on DBS seems to indicate that w/o continually replacing the infauna, they will eventually die off and the DSB will become toxic. I dont know about you, but I dont want to pay 100.00 every 6 months for bugs :mrgreen:

Squishy

Smart thinking, Squishy! I'm going to remember that when I start my SW tank :)

Wish I had seen that deal when I was seeding my fuge and DSB IMO for 75 bucks its the best det kit I have seen.

As far as the breeding fuge goes, if you put it inline with your return system on your tank they will migrate between the fuge and the main tank with great frequency without any need to harvest. I innoculated my fuge with an inland det kit and my display and fuge are now very densley populated.

I agree...thats the best way to do it, but I know I dont have the room for a fuge under my tank and I am definately not putting it next to it since it will be going in the formal living room. Next best thing....Breeding fuge!

Not too mention, it will give me a place to put that excess LR :roll: never thought I would say that.

I can't match that price. I'd have to charge $100 plus shipping. Looks like a good kit.

One error though - the individual has Copepods = Mysid Shrimp. That's wrong. Still a really good buy.

I have already emailed my wife to let her know that I want to get a kit from him!

Thanks again for the link

Well I got my answer. He'll deliver in person for $20 in the Philly metro area or I can meet him and pick up a kit and avoid the shipping charge. Thanks to Squishy's suggestion I think I'll set up my QT tank as a fuge for now, till my new sump/fuge arrives. I can seed it with some sand from my display tank and then add this kit.

I might be able get there this weekend. I'm thinking of putting some sand and a few small pieces of LR (pod pile) in the QT tank and it a breeder for now.

I use an Eclipse 12 for my QT so my only problem is the 13w lighting. I think the macro algea may need more.? Anyone know if I can supplement with an incandescent or grow light aimed from the side?

Hi everyone,

I finally joined Aquarium Advice and I want to thank everyone for being so nice -- especially when I got the flu. I hope everyone is happy with their kits.

I particularly wanted to thank Mrbill and cmor1701d for bringing me to this website. This is a great site and I will learn much, as we all do from shared experience. I look forward to hearing about yours. As for me, hit me with your "difficult to feed" fish questions. That's what I do best. Although it really just comes down to having the right critters. :wink: I can also offer advice on refugiums and anything Philadelphia! :D

Welcome to AA! Glad to have you on board! (y)

[edit] I realized how funny that sounds...
Hi, my name is Chris, and I have a saltwater problem.
[/edit]

Back
Top Bottom