Yet Another Filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

I have been reading and noticed that some like to use activated Carbon in their filter systems and some just like to use the paper filters.. I have a magnum 350 on a 55gal tank and was wondering what if any would be the advantages of using Activated Carbon.. I would be using marinelands Black Diamond Activated Carbon... I have read that some like to use it while others dont... Sorry about all the questions I am just making sure I am doing things properly.

TIA,
James

I should mention that I just added a penguin 300gph powerhead as well.. Should i have the thing blowing lots of bubbles or just very few or as lil as possible? Its on the complete opposite side of the outlet for the magnum 350 so in theory the both meet in the middle

Activated carbon is supposed to filter out organic as well as liquid waste such as urine, dyes or impurities in solution. "This action provides sparkling clear water for your aquarium" (side of the box) I have been running carbon in my tank 24/7 and it seems to work great...i change mine out once a month....others once a week....I have been really happy with it, My water has been crystal clear since day 1 :wink:

in a SW FOWLR or Reef system I think most use GAC to "polish off" the water as the LS/LR is supposed to take care of all the ammonia and nasty bits for you. In a FO system the GAC can play a stronger role in removing ammonia and such from the system.

Well this is eventually going to be a reef as soon as I feel comfortable and know my tank.. I have 40lbs of Florida Keys LR due here tomorrow and 5 lbs of LS due here the same time.. SO for now its gonna be a FOWLR tank. But I plan on in about 6 months adding maybe a coral here and there.. Right now I only have standard Marinelabs daylight bulbs.. Yes I am currently looking for a good fixture for lights.. Should I just stick with the normal paper filter or activated carbon..? as with the power head lots of bubbles or no bubbles?

From my reading GAC in saltwater is supposed to be unable to remove ammonia as the salt interferes with the removal Was my reading correct or did i misunderstand it

TIA,
James

don't use the paper. all the bits it catches are the bits you should be letting fall into your LR. if you want to use GAC to polish the water just fill up some media bags (or knee high panty hose) and set them in the bottom of your filter. For your PH, no bubbles but make sure at least one of them is creating a good amount of turbulance at the surface of your water. This is where the CO2/O2 gas exchange takes place.

re GAC in saltwater... dunno.. never heard that before... doesn't mean it's not true... can anyone confirm or deny this with evidence? Where did you read this James?

I read in on marinelands website when i was tring to investigate the use of carbon.. So for the Canister Filter should I run it with no media in it then? It has been running wiht the paper filter but it can easily be taken out.

http://www.marineland.com/products/manuals/Carbon_QA.pdf
I believe it was someone in there.. I might have misread it though..

Tia,
James

Well I just went ahead and started using the Activated Carbon media instead of the paper one.. From all the reading I was doing it seemed like the best to be using..

Thanks Again,
James

Back
Top Bottom