Zebra eel in community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was looking at eels on live aquaria and they said the zebra eel is ideal for the community tank. is this true? I love eels but have a community tank. Please advise! Thanks!

Depends on what consists of your community. These eels are actually quite peaceful if feed properly and they have the appropriate territory/cave. The main concerns being smaller fish, benthic digging species and mobile inverts.

Cheers
Steve

What would you recommend as the most peaceful eel? I would like to get an eel and look at other fish with it. Now I have two gold headed sleeper gobies two medium size clowns a spinny blue lobster and three shrimp. I know the shrimp would have to go but how about the others. thanks.

The lobster would be lunch food as well. I have only had this happen once but I though it worth mentioning anyway. While I do agree with Hara, the possibility does exist for eels to steal burrows. They will actually kill the fish living in it if it does not evacuate in time. My SFE literally ripped a sleeper goby in half, never ate it, just stole the burrow. 8O

Cheers
Steve

IME, I have not encountered any eel related fish/invert deaths in my tanks. But that does not mean that this scenario will not happen to you. SFE love to dig so the rocks cannot be stacked too high or in precarious positions. My zebra is abit more easier and his tank consists of a T shaped PVC pipe that he inhabits most of the time and the rocks are stacked and has not been knocked over yet. Both eels are great, and in most part very docile.

Back
Top Bottom