zebra goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a single zebra fogy yesterday, will he be okay by itself or should I get a second so it can have company?

Depends, are we speaking of Ptereleotris zebra? If so, they tend to do best in small groups and should be housed in at least a 40g "Breeder" or longer tank since they do openly school/shoal (not a hoverer ime).

He's in a new place. That's normal for new fish in a tank. And, thats what a lot of gobies do anyway. What else is in the tank?

austinsdad said:
He's in a new place. That's normal for new fish in a tank. And, thats what a lot of gobies do anyway. What else is in the tank?

The other fish in the tank are: 2 chromis, 1 engineer goby, hermit crabs and snails

Innovator said:
Depends, are we speaking of Ptereleotris zebra? If so, they tend to do best in small groups and should be housed in at least a 40g "Breeder" or longer tank since they do openly school/shoal (not a hoverer ime).

It is a ptereleotris zebra and the tank is 90gallons

You may want to try a small schoal of 4-5, which would also help initiate breeding displays :)

austinsdad said:
That engineer may drive you crazy later. What kinda substrate?

I just have fine sand substrate. Why will he drive me crazy? He has been in the tank for almost 2 months now and he seems okay I was even planning to getting him a parther.

They don't call them engineers for nothing. Hopefully your rock isn't just sitting on the sand instead of down on the bottom glass. They will dig underneath of the rock if so. Maybe yours is small now, but they can get up to 12 or 18" depending on which profiles you read. I've seen them as large as 12". Also, its recommended that you add pairs or more togther.
Pholodichthyidae
FreshMarine.com - Engineer Goby - Pholidichthys leucotaenia - Engineer Blenny - Buy Cheap Engineer Goby at Wholesale
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Engineer Goby

austinsdad said:
They don't call them engineers for nothing. Hopefully your rock isn't just sitting on the sand instead of down on the bottom glass. They will dig underneath of the rock if so. Maybe yours is small now, but they can get up to 12 or 18" depending on which profiles you read. I've seen them as large as 12". Also, its recommended that you add pairs or more togther.
Pholodichthyidae
FreshMarine.com - Engineer Goby - Pholidichthys leucotaenia - Engineer Blenny - Buy Cheap Engineer Goby at Wholesale
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Engineer Goby

I guess I will just keep one of the fish

Back
Top Bottom