125 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe55119

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Had chillids for the last 15 years in my 125 gal tank and now I am switching to saltwater. I got 160 pds of dry rock that I am currently curring in the tank. I had saltwater tank about 20 years ago. I have lots of questions

Welcome to AA, we will give you lots of great advice. Could you give us a rundown of what your plans are for the tank, with equipment you have so we can better guide you to success.

I would like to start with FWLR tank and then as I learn more get some corals. Right now I just have 160 pds of rock curring in the tank. In about a month will get some sand not sure if I should get live sand or not. I am looking to get an octopus skimmer. I not sure about lighting my tank is 6 ' long and I made my oak stand and canopy for the tank the canopy is about 6" above the tank so not sure what to get.

I would like to start with FWLR tank and then as I learn more get some corals. Right now I just have 160 pds of rock curring in the tank. In about a month will get some sand not sure if I should get live sand or not. I am looking to get an octopus skimmer. I not sure about lighting my tank is 6 ' long and I made my oak stand and canopy for the tank the canopy is about 6" above the tank so not sure what to get.

You'll want to pick up an API master salt water test kit. I cycled my tank with live rock and live sand, it was just over 3 weeks to completion of the cycle. I did fish in cycle with 4 damsels and wish I did a fishless cycle. They were extremely hard to get out as they are nasty nippy fish.
This is how I would recommend doing it.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/cycle-your-salt-tank/
If your eventually going to keep coral I suggest led lighting, taotronics makes relatively inexpensive fixtures that a lot of people have great success with.
You may need 3 not sure on a 6' tank. May find them cheaper on eBay.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0092LXQRM/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Back
Top Bottom