125 Gallon South American Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerseyGirl 2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

Looking for any and all advice I can get for best equipment suggestions for my new Aqueon 125 Gallon Aquarium. Dimensions are:

Tank: 72.5 in L x 18.5 in W x 23.4 in H
Stand: 74 in L x 21 in W x 30.6 in H

I have not set it up yet. But I have purchased the following items:

Fluval FX6 Canister Filter
Gravel
LED Lights and Glass lid

I will be moving extra Bio-Max Media from my FX4 (currently in a Hex Front 44 Gallon) into my new FX6 to help start the cycle. I will be moving a Green Terror, an Albino Tiger Oscar, a Jack Dempsey, and a Texas Cichlid from the 44 to the new 125 once its cycled. All four fish are about 3 or 4 inches or so currently.

My first question is regarding filtration and surface agitation. Will the FX6 be enough or should I be looking at additional filtration and/or a Wavemaker or something to assist? Also, should I be looking for more flow in the lower half of the tank as well?

I would like Suggestions on what else I should add, as well as Size, Brands, How many, One direction or from both ends etc. Any advice from those of you with a similar tank type would be greatly appreciated.

I am also planning on using two 4 inch Hygger round Air Stones as well (mostly just an aesthetics thing). I already have a goo sized pump for them as well.

Thanks!!

Well how is the planning going? Did you get it set up yet.

I have 2 Fluval FX5's and I absolutely love them. Work horses. I can't be much help with the Cichlids stocking and detail things (still learning more about them and there is so much to know).

As for the agitation getting a powerhead to stir up some of the slow moving areas, the low flow spots is good for cleaning and circulation.

The circulation states 563 gallons per hour for the FX6 and that is a really nice amount.

On my 72G heavily stocked bowfront I run the FX5 (600 g p/h) plus a Fluval 110 (appx 500 g p/h) HOB which in both cases is significantly reduced with full amounts of media and as the filter sponges age and get teeny particles filling up spaces, lowering flow, and as they get dirtier.

In part I have 2 in case of the FX5 failing and it is pretty old now. But also they work great together.

Welcome to the community!

Back
Top Bottom