13 year old new to fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaNomad196

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm 13, male and I'm new to fish. I hope to learn a lot and start a successful aquarium and become an aquarist. I enjoy baseball (preferably Jay Bruce), pets, and video games. I currently own a 1 gallon with a healthy platy named Gunther. I had 2 goldfish, Biff (my little brother's) and Olaf. I also had 2 other platy, Shortfry (Also my little brother's), and my older brother's which had no name.
I'm hoping to soon get a 5 gal with 2 guppies, 1 platy, 1 molly, and an algae eater. That's all. Bye!(y)

Welcome to the forum. I was 13 when I started with my first tank, my10 gallon. Now 2 years later, I have a 45 gal. coummity and a 25 reef.

Wow

In two years that much of an upgrade? I think it'd be amazing, but we only have room for a 5 or MAYBE 10 at the max.:confused: Most likely getting a 5.
Oh I forgot, platy are my favorites.

I was about 10 when I started and now I am 15 and is currently doing reef aquariums with my 30 gallon and soon I will get a 90. Trust me when fish die it is horrible especially when it's from your parents money and they think you don't know what your doing. Saltwater are kinda hard especially for someone my age with little too no money and my parents think its just salt and water but don't get discouraged things happen that are out of your reach but you just have to go with it.

Yeah, I worked hard haha. I actually just upgraded my 25 fresh to the 45 so instead of having a empty 25, I decided to start a new experience and try salty. I have a mickey mouse platy in the 45 along with a ton of tetras and a baby angel fish. And a 5 gal is a great tank, especially for platys. :) Pea puffers too.

Hey welcome to AA
I'm 15, and I did start with a 2.5 betta tank, now in two years I have a 29 gallon, the 2.5, a 55, and a future koi pond

Hey i'm 15 also and I started at 13 with 1 tank, and now I have a 5 gal, a 20 gal, a 30 gal, and a 55 gal!

Hey i'm 15 also and I started at 13 with 1 tank, and now I have a 5 gal, a 20 gal, a 30 gal, and a 55 gal!

Yep I have 2 30g one is fw and one is saltwater also 1 10g and soon 1 90g reef

Yep I have 2 30g one is fw and one is saltwater also 1 10g and soon 1 90g reef

Nice! You know, I'm surprised how many 15 year olds there are! It seems like no teens in my area do this hobby at all! Its pretty cool talking with others my age!

Nice! You know, I'm surprised how many 15 year olds there are! It seems like no teens in my area do this hobby at all! Its pretty cool talking with others my age!

Yeah true especially when I go to my local saltwater fish store and I pick up a saltwater fish, coral or invertebrate sometimes they stop me to say " you know that's for saltwater only right" and say "yeah I know". One guy there has gotten to know me and he is a marine biologist so when all the good stuff comes he tends to inform me about early. Otherwise no one does any thing remotely fish wise around me especially around my age

Yeah true especially when I got to my local saltwater fish store and I pick up a saltwater fish, coral or invertebrate sometimes they stop me to say " you know that's for saltwater only right" and say "yeah I know". One guy there has gotten to know me and he is a marine biologist so when all the good stuff comes he tends to inform me about early. Otherwise no one does any thing remotely fish wise around me especially around my age

Oh thats cool! And yeah its just to bad that not a ton of teens are in the hobby!

Yeah very true but i guess it all depends in where you live and not everyone supposedly has the time but we fish hobbyist find the time

Yeah very true but i guess it all depends in where you live and not everyone supposedly has the time but we fish hobbyist find the time

Lol. We just cram the fish time into the schedule. If you are in an apartment, that limits your tank options because you can't have a tank that heavy.

Lol. We just cram the fish time into the schedule. If you are in an apartment, that limits your tank options because you can't have a tank that heavy.

Thats very true, same with older houses. I can't get a big tank on my main or upper floor cuz our floor joists can't hold it! :/

Whats up! I started when i was 14 with a 20 gallon with neon tetras, cherry barbs, and some corys.

Now i am 15 barely a year later and have

55g with
Salvini
Convict pair
Jewel pair
Small tiger oscar (soon to be sold)

55g divided in half temporarely
1 red devil
1 red oscar

150g with
No fish its cycling but wil have6 jaguar cichlids on friday

10g with