13 year old new to fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Provided the pond is heated then yes, they can survive :) if not I'm sure they wouldn't mind being moved back in for the winter lol.

The heaters for ponds are only to make sure the whole surface of the pond doesn't freeze. It doesn't actually heat up the whole pond. But my pond gets up to the 80-83 in summer!! Just from the suns heat!

The heaters for ponds are only to make sure the whole surface of the pond doesn't freeze. It doesn't actually heat up the whole pond. But my pond gets up to the 80-83 in summer!! Just from the suns heat!

Oh man.... I guess I need to re-evaluate. -hides in corner- I'm not really interested in koi because the fugly cats will try to grab them. I could put a net over it but I just don't think it's worth the look :/

I'm 13, male and I'm new to fish. I hope to learn a lot and start a successful aquarium and become an aquarist. I enjoy baseball (preferably Jay Bruce), pets, and video games. I currently own a 1 gallon with a healthy platy named Gunther. I had 2 goldfish, Biff (my little brother's) and Olaf. I also had 2 other platy, Shortfry (Also my little brother's), and my older brother's which had no name.
I'm hoping to soon get a 5 gal with 2 guppies, 1 platy, 1 molly, and an algae eater. That's all. Bye!(y)

Welcome to the forum!
You say that you have a 1 gallon with a platy, are the goldfish in that same 1 gallon?
That's a lot of fish for 1 gallon, how long have they been in there? A single Goldfish alone requires 30+ gallons to itself because of how much waste they produce, and a platy should be in a minimum of 20 gallons because of it's activity level. Not trying to dog on you but I think you need to rethink your stocking and either upgrade or rehome everyone. A betta (if you add a heater) is really the only option fish-wise you have for something that size, though you could have a few shrimp or snails too.

A started fish keeping with my dad when I was 5, and got my own tank at 8, but really got into it when I was 10, I'm 23 now and have learned A LOT the hard way in that time, and one of my biggest lessons was overstocking like that. I once had 2 goldfish I won at the fair in a 1 gallon bowl, they did okay when I have them daily water changes, but then one weekend I went away and came back to them both dead. That's when I started doing my research on fish and found out the space goldfish really need..OOPS!

Welcome to the forum!
You say that you have a 1 gallon with a platy, are the goldfish in that same 1 gallon?
That's a lot of fish for 1 gallon, how long have they been in there? A single Goldfish alone requires 30+ gallons to itself because of how much waste they produce, and a platy should be in a minimum of 20 gallons because of it's activity level. Not trying to dog on you but I think you need to rethink your stocking and either upgrade or rehome everyone. A betta (if you add a heater) is really the only option fish-wise you have for something that size, though you could have a few shrimp or snails too.

A started fish keeping with my dad when I was 5, and got my own tank at 8, but really got into it when I was 10, I'm 23 now and have learned A LOT the hard way in that time, and one of my biggest lessons was overstocking like that. I once had 2 goldfish I won at the fair in a 1 gallon bowl, they did okay when I have them daily water changes, but then one weekend I went away and came back to them both dead. That's when I started doing my research on fish and found out the space goldfish really need..OOPS!

+1 for more goldfish room. They will create a sky high amount of waste. 1 gal is really not enough. I only keep goldfish in my pond. Even in the pond, they create a heavy waste toll on my filter.

Oh man.... I guess I need to re-evaluate. -hides in corner- I'm not really interested in koi because the fugly cats will try to grab them. I could put a net over it but I just don't think it's worth the look :/

I have some stupid neighbors cat stalking my koi/goldfish but they have never got to get one. As long as the pond is at least 1.5-2 ft deep, the fish will be fine. Unless the cat is brave enough to swim in the water or has really long arms.

I have some stupid neighbors cat stalking my koi/goldfish but they have never got to get one. As long as the pond is at least 1.5-2 ft deep, the fish will be fine. Unless the cat is brave enough to swim in the water or has really long arms.

My neighbor is a cat lady. I'm sure one of the cats will be bold enough haha.

My neighbor is a cat lady. I'm sure one of the cats will be bold enough haha.

Lol. Deep ponds = the safer the fish are. But if you don't want to take a chance, its ok. Catfish would be ok since they are bottom feeders and don't usually come to the surface. So are sturgeons.

I'm on the app, I have to get on the computer to delete. Brb. I was thinking something like an oxydoras Niger but I think they need heat too -.-

Back
Top Bottom