20 gal high stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theo1994

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello dear community,

I have a 20 gal high cycled with 7 cardinals, 5 purple/blue emperor tetra, 3 corys and 1 bolivian ram. Currently 3 live plants, planning on adding 3 or more. Can someone experienced comment on my stocking? Can I add a top dweller or my bioload is too heavy already? Thanks in advance

Hello!

It seems the number of fish would be alright if you have a cycled and stable tank. Are you familiar with the nitrification cycle (and never throw out your filter pad or wash it in straight untreated tap water).

A nice top fish would be a few 3-5 male fancy Guppies - only males so no babies!

Or one of my fish favorites which loves the top few inches would be the Neon Green Kubotai / Microdevario Kubotai it does however have the similar body shape to the Cardinal Tetra and again the Emperor Tetra, in case you would rather have a different shaped fish for additional interest.

Rachel O'Leary (youtube aka msjinkzd) has video about them and their care.

If you have a cycled tank, I would also recommend another 3-4 Cories if they are the medium sized ones, like Bronze, Green, Albino - Corydoras aeneus.

After adding fish, (quarantine / QT is recommended before adding to you main tank) just be sure to watch the water parameters as additional fish mean a larger bioload.

Feeding half as much but 2 times per day, helps spread the food and waste load more evenly in the day and make it easier for the filter to process.

You might consider also adding a 2nd weekly water change to keep the water in good condition initially to the 20G high for a few weeks just to make sure the BB in the filter is doing a proper job of keeping the water safe!

Hello sir and thanks for the reply,

Yes i am aware of the cycle, and my fish are doing fine for the last couple of months. The only fish im worried about are the blue emperor tetra, since 1 of them lost its color on 2 small spots on his body. i just added some sera super peat to the filter in order to drop the ph, thinking this may be the cause. I m going to add some corys later on. Do you know if bronze and green corys(aeneus) school together? I ll consider the guppies, but I don't think I'll be adding any more tetra due to their similarities. Anyway i wont add anything until i sort out the blue emperor issue. Thanks again for your response sir.

Back
Top Bottom