20 Gallon to 125 Gallon Show Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dissy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi.. Currently, I have a 20 gallon tank with three Convict cichlids (2 females, and a male). It's been running for about 3 months. I'm using a Marineland bio wheel filter rated for a 50 gallon tank, since cichlids are piggish little things. My temp is set at 78 degrees, and I feed 4-6 cichlid pellets twice a day (they usually eat all of this). My water has always been cloudy, but the fish don't seem any worse for wear, are acting normally, and two of them seem to be considering playing house, altho they're still relatively young.

Any idea on how to clear up the cloudiness? I'm thinking it may be my water. (We don't drink it - we buy bottled). If I get a filter for the faucet might that help? I've tried water clarifier tablets, and that helps a little for about a day - still not clear enough, IMO. I love watching them, but it's hard to see dark fish against dark wood in a cloudy tank.

I also plan on setting up a 125 gallon show tank, which I'd like advice on as I go, since I expect it will be a rather extensive project, and I don't want *that* water cloudy.

Thanks!

The first step would be get a API Master Test Kit. Test For Ammonia Nitrites Nitrates PH post those readings and we can help you from there.

Not knowing these results will make it hard for anyone to help you.

So you going to do a 125 Gallon Cichlid Tank. That's awesome and allot of fun 4 you.

What type of Cichlid's ? African, South American, ? etc.

Get a good solid tank. And matching hood and lights.
Make sure you get a matching stand that will hold the weight of the tank.

Filtration is important in a Cichlid tank. You going to want something that will filter for about a 200 gallon tank. Maybe a Fluval fx5
As you know Cichlid's produce allot of waste.

I have a 55 gallon with a fluval 405 and to Marineland 280's.

Substrate is important. I like the sand substrate because of ease of maintenance. This stuff comes in black and white. Also will maintain the PH that cichlid's need. So here you do not have to worry about keep the proper PH.

Decor: Cichlid's love to hide. Rocks like limestone would be a good addition
for making tunnels, caves etc. Plastic plants are best when having Cichlid's.
As you know they like to landscape.
I put in a center piece that looks like coral and it has lots of tunnels and built in air stone. You need to study the natural habitat and decide how you want it to look.

Heater: Probably a 250 to 300 watt Marineland I think is the best JMO.
Air Pimp: Whisper or any that you choose.
Then of course you will need the maintenance tools to keep it clean: Gravel Vac, Magnetic glass cleaner, etc

Chemicals: Water conditioner, I use natural trace elements for cichlid's,
There are now many product's made just for cichlid's. Cichlid rift lake salt really makes their colors pop. But not to over do it.

Just some suggestions, sounds like fun.

Back
Top Bottom