2nd time newbie (or so it seems)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ladycapof3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! So it seems as though I am a 2nd time newbie. [emoji45] Let me explain. In January, my kids and I started our 10 gal tank with a variety of male fancy guppies and an alge eater. All went well for about a month and half, until one aggressive guppy started terrorizing the others. Separated him into 1 gal tank, to do some soul searching. We had a bad case of ick, both tanks affected. Everybody pulls through. Put the solo guppy back with the group, after everything has calmed down. For whatever reason, the guppies start taking a turn for the worst. No noticeable signs of diseases. Over a 7 day period, I lost 5 guppies. Found my daughter was feeding them after I was feeding. So we have a talk about only one person feeding the fish, as they can get overstuffed and die. Sole survived was the alge eater. Continue with the regular water changes every week, sometimes every 2 wks since he was the only fish. Beginning of April, we decide to try again. Added 6 tetras. 4 died a few weeks later. Tested the water through my LFS, results were good. Confused as they saw nothing wrong with my water. Waited another week and half, before adding my guppies. Everything was going well until this morning. One of the male guppy was dead and looked as though he had like faint grayish/white film on his body. So this is what has brought me to this forum.

Highly recommend buying the Api freshwater master test kit. The only way to know what's going on in your tank is to test the water yourself. Lfs sometimes will do a quick test, but they just want to sell you stuff.

I did cycle my tank initially in December before adding any fish. It's a 10 gal tank. And that kind of how I felt with the LFS water testing... a quickie test. I'll grab the Api master kit tomorrow. Not sure about the nitrogen cycle. Will definitely check out the link.

Back
Top Bottom