A Little Fishy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A Little Fishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey! It's me! I'm coming to the sort of fish thing new, this morning just bought my first real tank and filter. I am so hyped to get started with this fish stuff. My knowledge is limited ATM but I'll learn quickly! I'll be a form frequenter checking on here. I'm looking for people to help me get started as I have lots of questions so if there's anyone out there with lots of patience for sure leave me a message!

It's got that Christmas morning feel when setting up a new tank no matter how long you've been in the hobby.
There are a lot of links of knowledge you need to absorb. Start with the cycling process for a new aquarium. An API test kit for amonia, nitrite, and nitrate ppm is necessary to have for the cycling process. Bring your patience along for the journey.

What type of fish caught your eye to get into the hobby?

Well I got my tank today, it's a 75 gallon bow front. And I have a busted 330 bio wheel so I need to go out and buy a new filter airator and heater if I'm correct

I'm not familiar with the bio wheel. Motor or other filter parts can be found on ebay or amazon. 10xgph, 750+ Gallons Per Hour is what you need for crystal filtration. I'd recommend a canister filter and an Aqua Clear 110 HOB. Do you have filter money, my friend?

If you are living urban, you could make 60-80$ sing on CraigsList or local aquarium society auctions.

Yeah okay I'll look around. And why are canisters better? I REALLY DONT want water leaked on my wood floor...?

I haven't had the leaky canister horror story with fluval, thankfully. More bio media and bigger sponges can pack in the cans=more surface area for BB to colonize.

To be clear, this is a gamble of buying used equipment. An experienced eye might be better. I don't know about the sunsuns rating, or if it would be worth offering $50-70 for it.

I started out with a Sunsun 302 back in May and for Christmas got a new 703B. Been happy with both so far!

How many gal do you have? Just to confirm I am looking for something that's able to do 750 GPH correct? Is it alright if I use two different filters in the same tank?

How many gal do you have? Just to confirm I am looking for something that's able to do 750 GPH correct? Is it alright if I use two different filters in the same tank?
A sunsun 304b is good enough for you. I have one on a 75g planted and havent had issues.

First of all-welcome to the forum.

If I may stray from common opinion in this thread. 10x turnover is recommended for goldfish and is by far not "necessary" for fish with a lighter load. While there's nothing wrong with it, I'm just telling you I had a 55g with a 300gpm filter(6x) and my water clarity depended far more on what filter media I used, not the turnover rate. Keep in mind a large filter will throw aqadvisor's filtration algorithm off a bit too.

As a new comer, you need to understand the nitrogen cycle and what goes on there. Here's a guide that should help with this learning curve. Be sure to check out other articles on here too!

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/?p=43

With a tank this large you definitely want to complete a fishless cycle and if you want to jumpstart the process you'll need some seed media. People sell it on here, or your local fish store might be willing to help you.

Back
Top Bottom