A Mix of Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbwedz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting back into the hobby and starting to reteach myself and teach my kids. I have a 50 gallon tank and the setup is in the link below. I have a mix of fish most of which I got from someone else.

2 Tiger Barbs
2 Anglefish
1 Tinfoil Barb
1 Bleeding Heart Tetra

The Barbs are going after the Anglefish and I plan to put in 3 more Tigers and see if that helps. The tank does have a good amount of cover for the Angles to get a break. I currently have fake plants. Also, I'm a little concerned that the Tinfoil is going to outgrow the tank. Thoughts?

I'm also considering putting in 1 or 2 more fish after the Tigers. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help and I look forward to getting back into this. I've cared for tanks off and on for 30 years, but I'm a little out of practice.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=PaulW&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=36&AquTankDepth=18&AquTankHeight=18&AquListBoxFilter=Top%20Fin%20Power%20Filter%2040&AquTextFilterRate=40%20&AquListBoxFilter2=Choose&AquTextFilterRate2=N%2FA%20&AquFilterString=&AquListBoxChooser=Bleeding%20Heart%20Tetra%20%28Hyphessobrycon%20erythrostigma%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=1&FormSubmit=Add%20%3E&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300232%3A5%3A%3A%2C200909300009%3A2%3A%3A%2C200909300233%3A1%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display%20all%20species&AqTempUnit=F&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple&

Why would you keep tiger barbs with angels? You can't keep them with anything that is slow moving and/or has long fins like that. No matter how many tigers you add, the angels will get harassed.

Also, the tinfoil barb will soon be way too massive for that tank.

I suggest removing the barbs.

Replace them with something mellow like some bleeding heart tetras. Add a school of 7 or 8 corydoras, maybe a bushynose or clown pleco, and call it a tank. :)

Yea, I think the Tinfoil has to go. As for the Tigers, I've read that in bigger groups they spend more time bothering each other than other fish.

I have to agree with mrsprinkles they will always find time to nip nice fancy fins of other fish its in there nature

Yea, that wouldn't be shocking about the Tigers from what I've read. I've never had barbs before, mostly tetras.

I found a home for the Tinfoil Barb and I likely can for the Anglefish and the Bleeding Heart. I'm going to keep the Tiger barbs. They are more active and the kids like them. Any good ideas for other fish to go with the Tigers (beside more Tigers)?

Back
Top Bottom