Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2017, 01:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Acrylic/oceanography expert, aquarium novice

Hi all-

My day job is building different acrylic tanks for oceanography experiments. I'm currently working on a project studying the survival/behavior of Dungeness Crab larvae in pH / O2 / temperature gradients if anyone's curious about behind the scenes of oceanographic science (hint: gaff tape is my savior. All hail gaff tape.)

So while I've built tons of tanks for experiments & cultured Artemia/copepods in the lab, I've never tried a personal aquarium until last year. Fall 2016 I got a glass 10 gallon tank and managed to get some nice plants established. I had it stocked with 2 1.5" catfish and a 3" goldfish.

As of January 2017 that tank sadly broke during the moving process, but the fish lived! I speed bought & set up a new 10g glass tank for them and am attempting to fish-in cycle the tank without losing my catfish. The goldfish is tough, and fat, so I'm not really worried about him.

So nice to meet you all! If you have questions about building tanks from scratch, oceanography, or anything similar feel free to ping me. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions coming up about tank cycling & establishing new plants to replace my old.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataobbe View Post
Hi all-

My day job is building different acrylic tanks for oceanography experiments. I'm currently working on a project studying the survival/behavior of Dungeness Crab larvae in pH / O2 / temperature gradients if anyone's curious about behind the scenes of oceanographic science (hint: gaff tape is my savior. All hail gaff tape.)

So while I've built tons of tanks for experiments & cultured Artemia/copepods in the lab, I've never tried a personal aquarium until last year. Fall 2016 I got a glass 10 gallon tank and managed to get some nice plants established. I had it stocked with 2 1.5" catfish and a 3" goldfish.

As of January 2017 that tank sadly broke during the moving process, but the fish lived! I speed bought & set up a new 10g glass tank for them and am attempting to fish-in cycle the tank without losing my catfish. The goldfish is tough, and fat, so I'm not really worried about him.

So nice to meet you all! If you have questions about building tanks from scratch, oceanography, or anything similar feel free to ping me. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions coming up about tank cycling & establishing new plants to replace my old.
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have another experienced aquarist among us all!

Old 01-31-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure your unique experience will prove beneficial to all.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi, welcome!

Tags
acrylic, aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com