Added Fish to Entertain Cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angiebrown33

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have five cats running around and work part time in a pet store. Thought it would be neat to get a betta for entertainment. The little betta bowl had to be upgraded to a bit bigger with a lid to keep little cat feet out. Then that needed another upgrade and so on. Don't have room for a big tank and too far from a water source to get very big. Now have a 10 gal and 5 gal in use.

First efforts with snails didn't go so well, but later got one that has grown so large it needs lots of room. It is now in the 5 gal with one red wag platy. Large snails seem to create lots of waste and I'm having a tough time keeping water reasonably clear with a 10i whisper filter. Using ammo chips now and ammonia is coming down.

The betta is a gorgeous orange and white veil tail that has grown a lot. He is picky about food (like the cats) and will absolutely not eat pellets. He wants blood worms or brine shrimp. Right now it is only brine shrimp. Trying to convince him he needs the pellets, too, to no avail. He is in the 10 gal with some buddies that are working out well. He used to live with the big snail.

Have 3 otoclincus and 3 emerald corys in with the Betta. The otos just stay out of the way and he ignores them. Betta chases the corys and they chase the betta right back, then they all get tired and find a place to nap a while. Have LED hood and lights, but still plenty of algae for algae eaters. Just got a ruby nerite snail to help with the algae. Not near a window and all artificial plants.

Hoping for crystal clear water one of these days. The 10 gal is close. Do water changes, don't over feed. Snail tank always smells bad.

Fish keeping seems to grow on a person. Always enjoy looking at varieties I haven't seen. The ones I have are fun to watch. It's hard to lose one.

Back
Top Bottom