Algae help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firestar234

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok...i have 2 goldfish in a 15 gallon tank. After leaving the light on for about 8 hrs one day i had a lot of algae. It is kinda greenish yellowish. I did some research on how to get it out. I did about 3-4 25% water changes, i bought some Tetra Water Clarifier and Tetra Easy Balance to help my alkalinity.

Right now im doing a blackout...i have to towels over the aquarium....is this the best thing to do?

Once the algae is gone should i get a weaker light or is there a kind of light anyone reccomend? im totally devoted to these fish to the point where i got up at like 1 in the morning to do a water test and to make sure the water was safe. Before i began the blackout i did a water test to make sure the water is safe.

Also...my alkalinity is low...how do i raise it? its about 35-40 and i need it higher for my fish.
The box that i test the water with say to add Tetra Easy Balance..but it didnt work....it only helps the ph level a little bit...

I NEED HELP!

To many goldfish for that tank. They have a large bio load so a 30g aquarium is better because of the increase in water volume.

:welcome: to AA! (y)

Your tank is overstock believe it or not. It may not seem like it ... but goldfish have huge bioloads so they really dirty up their water... and comet goldfish really belong in a pond rather than a tank. The general rule is 20gal for the first, 10gal for each additional. I know ... a big contrast to the dozens of goldfish you see in a tank at LFS's. If you can upgrade to a 29 gal that would be easier for you.

As for Alkalinity ... If your fish have been fine and healthy thus far ... don't mess with it. Trying to achieve that "ideal" level we'll read about can lead to pH fluctuations which will make algae the least of your problems.:facepalm:
I agree with your don't add extra chemicals to raise alkalinity / pH ... there are natural alternatives like crushed corals / limestone in a media bag.

For now, continue with the blackout for a few days and PWC's. Algae grow from excess nutrients and light. Is there usually any uneaten food that remains? That along with their bioloads could be a source of the nutrients .. PWC's will help. As for the lights ... consider going on a 4hr on 4hr off cycle, many members have had success with this.

hmmm....i really dislike petco...they told me that 2 fish are fine...but i used to overfeed them....last week but now i started giving them smaller portions.

i have a topfin power filter right now and even before i had the fish the water would get cloudy...i still dont think the fish are overcrowded yet...maybe when they get bigger.

Im looking at getting a better filter....or should i use both filters?

hmmm....i really dislike petco...they told me that 2 fish are fine...but i used to overfeed them....last week but now i started giving them smaller portions.

i have a topfin power filter right now and even before i had the fish the water would get cloudy...i still dont think the fish are overcrowded yet...maybe when they get bigger.

TopFin makes junk filters (in my opinion) I use a Marineland 350 Bio-Wheel and recommend them for anyone using a 55g Tank. It works great. I also use a UGF with 2 blowers on each back corner of the tank.

My 55g is on the break of overstock, but I have 2 different plecos, and another algae eater, so the tank very rarely has algae on it. Then again, I don't have gold fish. Gold fish are nasty, can be very pretty, but nasty.

so what kind of freshwater fish are not so nasty?

and should i get a algae eater or a snail?

Many members run two filters .. which should help. Ideally you want GPH to be more than 5x the volume of the tank ... some members go as high as 10x ... for your tank that's = 150gph. I would say your next filter should be one to handle a 40gal tank.

It's not so much overcrowding as it is overstocking. The difference comes down to keeping the water as clean as possible. When fish put out more waste than the water volume / filtration can handle then your basically overstocked. That usually requires much more work (PWC's) to maintain pristine water. It's not always necessarily size ... but yes as they do get larger they'll put out more waste. You may be ok for now ... but that'll only go as far as they're growth rate.

Welcome! A 15 gallon is suited for smaller tetras, guppies, fish of smaller size and bioload. You have many choices and can create a very nice aquarium. I would leave the light off except when watching your fish.

ok thanks...
should i also get an algae eater? im gonna get a new aqueneon filter and maybe a algae eater...

so for now i need a new filter....an algae eater....then when they get to big...ccan i trade them in at petco?

so what kind of freshwater fish are not so nasty?

and should i get a algae eater or a snail?

There are many actually ... many Tetras and Barbs for example have a lower bio load than goldfish. I'd wager that 15 neon tetras in your tank couldn't put out as much waste as two goldfish...LOL.

I'd hold off on Algae eaters for now until you've finished your black out and give the 4hr on 4hr off a week or two ... IMO. Snails (some?) I've heard / read actually have large bio-loads for their size as well .... shrimp however have practically zero bioload.

Edit ... sorry forgot to mention that with a 15gal a few tetras or guppies may be the best bet.
Barbs require a lot of swimming space.

where would i purchase algae eaters? or shrimp?

so u guys are saying i should give the gold fish back? cuz ill keep them as long as i can...then when they get to big ill give them up and start all over and get tetras or something small

Back
Top Bottom