Allow me to introduce myself...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crunchygirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I am a newbie to this forum.:wave::n00b:In order to keep my post to a minimum I will intro myself here and ask my questions on a different thread. So here is my fish back story...please don't judge for the obvious mistakes I made before I knew any better. A couple of years ago I gave my daughter a 10 gallon tank for a gift. We put it in her bedroom in front of her window and stocked it full of goldfish. I will pause while you all chuckle... So after that was an obvious fail- no cycle + algae and poo galore + child that is not able to take care of + pregnant mama who got tired of constant cleanup = bad. Tank got taken down with the promise of having a "family tank" someday. Although my first aquarium was not a success I got bit by the fish bug and knew I would take another stab at fishkeeping someday. Fast forward to 1 1/2 mo. ago I went to the store and got an aquarium stand with the intentions of setting up the 10 gal. again. The stand holds up to 20 gal. Before I set up the 10 gal. I decided to get a 20 gal. instead (wish I would have gotten 29- oh well, better than 10). I have made a couple of mistakes getting things set up and going (which I will go into on another post). But I am dedicated now to researching and doing things right from here on out. I hope I am welcome here and you will bestow your knowledge on me.

:ROFLMAO: CHUCKLES PROFUSELY :ROFLMAO:. Just kidding lol. I know how you feel, my first tank (my aunt got it for me when I was ten and the workers screwed me over) was a 1 gallon corner tank with 1 mystery snail, 1 oto, 1 male betta, and 3 mosquito fish.

In the end, everything but the betta died. 2 of the mosquito fish and the oto died of stress because I didn't change the water and when I did, I didn't always use dechlorinator... The mystery snail was alive, but I thought it was dead and flushed it. The betta lived until he jumped out during a water change and messed up his spine... Long fall. And I stepped on my last mosquito fish.

Oh and I had no filter. Just an air stone.

I hope I can be of service in your next thread, and I am glad you aren't the only one with the bug.

Glad to have you, - Raymond

Hi crunchygirl,

Welcome to AA! We've all had our mistakes in the past with our introduction to the world of aquariums and fish keeping. What's more important is that you live and "learn." It's great that your realized what went wrong and that there's great resources like this forum to get you headed on the right path. A 20g is a great step up from a 10g. There's nothing wrong with small tanks or nano tanks for that matter. My 17g is my pride and joy. So trust me when I say you'll have plenty of room to create a great home for your fish. Maybe later (or sooner) you can try a planted tank. ;)

Anyways, we're all here to help so make yourself at home and explore the various sub-forums.

Back
Top Bottom