Aloha!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krissycakes

Aquarium Advice Addict
My name is Shaynee. From Big Island, Hawaii. I am 19, and found out I am addicted to caring for my tank.

I currently own a 20g, (originally purchased for my male betta) with 8 live plants, 1 male betta, 8 neon tetras, small group of guppies, and a few snails I got from a friend/plants that I purchased.

I am working on getting a testing kit for my water. I am not sure of the ph levels, and I am sure it is vital for my fish and plants health. Any help would be appreciated. I look forward to reading the threads and getting great advice from you guys! Mahalo

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130905_102703.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130905_102703.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 68
  • ForumRunner_20130905_102723.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130905_102723.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 71
  • ForumRunner_20130905_102747.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130905_102747.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 74
Warm welcome to the forum! your tank looks nice. Youll get more replies to you ph question in the freshwater section. Whats your ph as it stands?

Warm welcome to the forum! your tank looks nice. Youll get more replies to you ph question in the freshwater section. Whats your ph as it stands?

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. :welcome:

@molliwopp atm I am not sure what my ph is at. I will cash my check tomorrow and buy test strips=)

@melosu58 I have been meaning to get advise from others. My lfs owner is getting annoyed with me lol. I do drop in at least 2x a week

Welcome! You should remove the plants from those pots because they dont really grow in them. They have some wool stuff in them that should be removed as well

Welcome! You should remove the plants from those pots because they dont really grow in them. They have some wool stuff in them that should be removed as well

Thanks, I was wondering if I should or not. But makes sense. Lol Should I cut the pots open with scissors? I don't want to damage the root system.

Thanks, I was wondering if I should or not. But makes sense. Lol Should I cut the pots open with scissors? I don't want to damage the root system.

Yes, you can use scissors to cut the plastic pots. Then gently peel the rock wool from the roots.

I got the API liquid tests, I believe. Are they good?

Welcome to the forums :)

These tests are what most of us use and recommend. A common myth is that pH is crucial to fish health. This is only true to an extent, as long as the pH is fairly neutral most fish can adapt to it.

If you start using chemicals to change the pH it can get messy (expensive to add chemicals every water change, and often the change in pH is rapid and stresses the fish). A stable aquarium where the pH doesn't change all the time (even if it is a tad higher than recommended) is better than constantly changing the pH.

Just monitor pH to make sure there's no big swings and the fish should be ok :) what's more important is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. Did you get the API master kit that has those tests too?

Welcome to the forums :)

These tests are what most of us use and recommend. A common myth is that pH is crucial to fish health. This is only true to an extent, as long as the pH is fairly neutral most fish can adapt to it.

If you start using chemicals to change the pH it can get messy (expensive to add chemicals every water change, and often the change in pH is rapid and stresses the fish). A stable aquarium where the pH doesn't change all the time (even if it is a tad higher than recommended) is better than constantly changing the pH.

Just monitor pH to make sure there's no big swings and the fish should be ok :) what's more important is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. Did you get the API master kit that has those tests too?

I did get the ammonia as well.

ForumRunner_20130910_081450.jpg

ForumRunner_20130910_081534.jpg

ForumRunner_20130910_081722.jpg

Looks like a zero to me :) That's great. I would also reccomend getting the nitrite and nitrate test kits.

Back
Top Bottom